Summer is in full swing and the place seems packed with people. I guess this is a good thing for the merchants and other businesses that rely on our visitors. The kennel is also quite busy which is a very good thing. I'm not sure I'll be thinking that on Sunday while I am there.....
The weather has been hot and humid with very little rain. The lawn is toast and what has not gone dormant is all crabgrass and other weeds. Ah, summer. I don't mind too much, really. When the lawn was first replaced after the addition and new septic, it really didn't have a chance. After it was hydro-seeded we had a week long rainstorm that drowned it and turned the loam under it to concrete. The guy came back to re-hydro-seed but the damage was done. Aside from heavy chemicals, which I won't do, we're stuck with it until we can figure out how to get a handle on the crabgrass.
We'll be watching Tropical Storm Cristobal off the South Carolina coast. Looks like it will skirt out to sea and not bother us at this point.
Still getting several zucchini and summer squash every day and Mrs has frozen several pounds of green beans. We did very well with red raspberries this year. They're about all done now.
We're very busy so not much fun stuff to write about and no new photos. The days are blending together and the month is flying by.
3 comments:
wow, I'm impressed. Your blog is just amazing. Plus you do just about everything. I never realized you were a full fledged farmer Barry. What I want to know, is how do you grow red raspberries successfully, I got 2 little berries? How do I keep rabbits from eating my lettuce and when do I pick my peas? All things they never taught me in PSC or RPI...if you recall, I could only memorize things long enough to take the test, slide down hills on plastic sleds and play the occasional great practical joke on you in college... when did you get so smart anyway Farmer B?
Meri-
I'm so glad you popped in for a peek at the blog. We're small scale for sure, but it's a lot of work and I love a majority of it. Please stop back and see what's up as often as you like.
I hate to say it but I do nothing for my raspberries. They just took over a certain spot in the yard and do their thing. I did plant some new stalks this year in a different area, so I have no idea how that will go next year.
Rabbits need a good fence or a .22 caliber rifle. Any deer problems there?
Peas depend on the variety. I am still getting some, but really they are a cool weather crop so they get a little starchy this time of year. Of course, you live in a different zone. If they are edible pods the peas don't have to be too big. If they are not edible pods, feel the pod itself and if the insides feel about the size a pea should be, pick one, open it and see what you have.
Everything I needed I learned in kindergarten....
Nah, most of what I do is from memory of what my mom did, right or wrong. She was THE best and I hope to be only half as good as she was. My only regret is that she's not here to share this with me. It's been 17+ years, but not a day goes by that I don't feel a void. I grow stuff because she would have wanted it that way.
Well, Halloo Meri!
Hope things are going well for you.
Post a Comment