Late last night and early this morning the region experienced a phenomenon known as temperature inversion, and I can now say it stinks! Literally.
I went out to feed the horse around 11 pm or so and noticed a faint odor of (what I thought was) burning plastic or fiberglass. It became stronger and after checking with my partner via cell phone, I had no solid answer as to the source. Sure as heck smells like a car fire to me!
I tuned in to three different radio scanners and soon found that our local fire department was chasing odor calls from Woods Hole to Hatchville. As time passed there were reports from Bourne to Orleans - one end of the Cape to the other - and then a message on the county channel from National Weather Service reporting the inversion. Apparently once this front blows through tonight the air should clear and be more pleasant. If this is what smog is all about, you city people can have it. I now have a mild headache, irritated sinuses, itchy eyes and a general overall feeling of disgust!
With winds light and from the southwest we're pretty much smelling New Jersey. As I type this I recall an incident within the last few years when this occurred in Manhattan.
5 comments:
Ah yes, that sweet smell of "New Jersey".
Nice tie in, being the Garden State and all....makes you wonder what they're growin'!
Grotesque yes, but it just shows we are all connected. Everything effects the environment. : (
Scary too, what else are we breathing?
Well, there's theory that the odor may have been in part from the strong electrical storms in other parts of the state combined with/or smoke from wildfires in the Carolina's. But you're right.
I went home and got right on Cape Wide News to listen to the FD channels. They soon confirmed the weather anomoly(like my big words) and started cancelling the FD calls.
It did open up to be a beautiful day though didn't it??
I wouldn't know. I was inside, lol. Can't wait for shift change!
Post a Comment