Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I was a little busy after work yesterday. There were some ugly thunderstorms in the area, but luckily nothing over most of our little corner of the upper Cape. I left work in heavy rain and lightning but by the time I got home it was clearing and dry. There were a couple more moderate to heavy showers but it cleared out nicely before dark.

I put up another pea trellis for my second planting of peas and then went to work on cleaning up the newest pile of old, wet hay that Guapo won't eat. Not the most pleasant of jobs, but it's done.

After supper I spent some time with Guapo grooming him and checking him over then gave him some time to graze on the green stuff. I had noticed his "chin" was rather swollen and hard. We checked more closely today and Mrs. G found a small, black dot right in the middle of the swelling. I was able to grab it with a pair of sharp tweezers. At first look it appeared to be a thorn, but Mrs. , while looking at it on my finger tip with a magnifying glass discovered the obvious. A bee or wasp stinger! Poor guy. So, mystery solved and we're treating him with warm compresses and witch hazel to relieve the itch.

The sick chick seems to be doing better. I had talked to a friend a couple nights ago and she came by with some wormer (we were both thinking parasites) and she also brought some Chinese herbal remedies, and vitamin C. We started with the Panacur. She seems better, but still is very small. So we shall see. I am hopeful.

This morning was cool and crisp. A perfect morning. I pulled some radishes and a couple weeds after feeding Guapo and spent a little time taking some photos.

Peas almost ready...

Potatoes.
Radishes are easy to grow and fun for the kiddies because they're so easy.. These are "Champion" radishes and so tasty. I pulled these this morning and there are many more to go.


Sage.


Tomatoes taking off.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barry, I am SO impressed with your garden! You know I have a brown thumb! Looks great! Barb

Live/Love/Life said...

Bagel, Your the best.

Fooseberry said...

Beautiful garden!! Sorry we missed our visit yesterday I would have rather seen them in person.
BTW I LOVE the chick photo as your header.
I have too much crap on my blog to change mine now.

Barry said...

Thanks, FB!

I need to mow the grass/weeds!

The lettuces are getting rough as I have been harvesting great bunches of it. I have to plant more but have to come up with a way to keep it cool in the summer heat. It does better that way.

FFNick said...

In the "potatoes" pic - what is that next to your George Bush fossil fuel guzzler?

Barry said...

Horse trailer. For sale, if you're interested. I drove the beast 94 miles last week (Saturday to Saturday) Trust me, I'd love to get rid of it. But there is that part of me that LOVES driving it. I think you remember that guy.