Another Friday and another fantastic Cape Cod day. When I got home Thursday Mrs. G and I were determined to install some type of support system for the tomato plants. Normally I would have just purchased tomato cages, but it just didn't happen (okay, so I'm cheap!). We ended up using a nylon mesh trellis strung between several metal stakes. I was skeptical at first, but once we completed the installation I became a little more confident that it might work out ok. Now the issue is keeping the crows from picking at the fruit as they develop.
I have more lettuce than I know what to do with. I think this is the best stuff I've grown in a long time. The second planting is a mix of all of the above lettuces as well as a couple varieties of spinach. Instant salad and it will be ready in a few days.
We're hosting a number of eastern chipmunks this year. At least it seems like there are a lot of them. So far only minimal damage that's been more of an annoyance than anything. For example, Mrs. found a hole excavated in one of her flower pots and one of the pansy plants tossed aside. I can't figure why they would do that. They may cause some grief when the tomatoes start to produce...
Cicada Love
There are Periodical Cicadas all over the place now. You can drive through pockets of them flying and dying in the road in pretty good numbers and they're singing loudly in most areas and I can hear them in the background of most radio transmissions made outside. It sort of sounds like bad sound effects from the old Star Trek TV series.
Mrs. G found one last evening that had just emerged from the ground and was preparing to shed it's skin on it's way to becoming an adult, so it seems they're going to be around for a little while longer.
1 comment:
Hi Barry, you sure do have a LOT of energy!Your garden sounds wonderful! I will be glad for those delightful bugs to go back in the ground, lol. Barb
Post a Comment