Friday, May 2, 2008

May

May 1st was fairly uneventful. We were at 25°F at 6 am. The hummingbird feeder was frozen solid as was the hose on the barn's yard hydrant. Nice. Everything seems to have survived. We thawed the hummer feeder and placed it back out on the hanger, but a gray squirrel tore off the bottom and all the juice dumped out of it. Mrs. G made more juice & placed it on another hook. It should be fine there.

I had planned to at least get my new blueberry bushes in the ground and, if time permitted, the blackberries. I did nothing of the sort. Instead I got the old Troy-Bilt roto-tiller out in an attempt to get the thing running. It has plenty of spark, but is obviously fuel starved (yes there is gas in it). So I'm hoping that it's just a fuel filter (it must have one!). Once I figure out where that is and where to get one and install it It should (crosses fingers) run. Right? Hopefully I can get it going. I wanted to use it to prepare the soil for 25 asparagus plants that must go in the ground this weekend. Looks as though I'll be hand digging the trenches, but that's okay as well.

I hung some laundry in the dark which was actually quite nice. I heard eastern screech owls calling from across the street. I tried to call them in but they were not buying my pathetic attempt at mimicking their call. A Virginia opossum was chomping seeds from the ground beneath the feeders.

Woke this morning (5/2) to light rain. Not a bad thing (except for the laundry...).
Rain should end later this morning. those blueberry bushes WILL be in the ground by nightfall.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say May 1st was uneventful.. we had that day-long incident at work that we shall not speak of directly here.

"Scott, can I go home sick?"

Fooseberry said...

So can we talk about when you are coming to evenings? I see a lot of hinky stuff happening between you two.

Barry said...

FB.....

LMAO!

Anonymous said...

So how are those blueberry bushes?
Did they make it in the ground?

Anonymous said...

Do not speak of those things that should not be spoken of in a place that shall remain hush.
Especially here.

Barry said...

Blueberry sticks are in the ground as well as the blackberries. I have 25 asparagus roots to put in. I have to cultivate and dig trenches for them and fast! Probably Sunday after doggie daycare.

Fooseberry said...

When are the chicks/peeps coming?? This week right. We have to come by for that!

Bon Bon said...

Love the blog. Read it every morning right after Fooseberrypie. Just put up our hummie feeders, no sightings yet but keeping an eye out for orioles as well. Happy spring!!

Barry said...

Thanks Bon. I'll try to keep it going!

FFNick said...

Not sure if the fuel filter is gonna do the trick - Did you think to check to see if the fuel line was shut off?! =)

Barry said...

It doesn't have a shut off. Could also be a collapsed or pinched line, but I cannot access it until I get the tank off. It's 20+ years old. Carb is dry as a bone. One of the bolts that holds the cover on is stripped (it's a Phillips head) so I've got to get that squared away first.

FFNick said...

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

What did you do all winter?!

=)

Barry said...

Honestly, I wasn't planning on gardening to the extent of needing it thinking I wouldn't have the time. So, I'll put in the asparagus by hand. That's better for me anyway.