After college in 1991, I went to work at River Bend Farm Kennels in Falmouth. Along with boarding and grooming of dogs and cats we also were heavily involved with retired racing greyhound adoptions. Naturally, I ended up with three of them. Dan, Holly and Easter.
Greyhounds are (mostly) responsible for Mrs. G. as well. She had taken a class at the community college which required her to make some sort of oral presentation. She had chosen as her topic racing greyhounds and what happens to them after they no longer have a place on the track.
The short story is: We met at the kennel when she returned a dog she borrowed as a prop for the talk (I was allegedly not very pleasant the first time we met) and met again when we walked the greys in our local Christmas parade (where I was a little more pleasant and had cleaned up fairly well).
My greys were all around the same age and unfortunately died with in a year or so of each other. I really don't remember when exactly. It's sort of a blur now. After not having a dog for awhile, we considered a greyhound puppy that RBF had. She spent a very short time with us, but at the time I was not up for the challenge and was still missing my greys (particularly Holly). I was in a new job by then and did not have the daily exposure to greys so it was not as easy to just acquire one.
Logan is a great dog, though very shy with strangers. He's a fantastic watch dog; almost too good. He was really easy to house train. I was able to make him a great Frisbee catcher as well with little effort on my part. He's not the greatest on the leash as he is always hunting, though I'm pretty sure he has no idea what he's looking for. He's excellent in the car/truck and snoozes for most of the ride. He's been to upstate New York with us and to Maine last year for our week long vacation. He also went on his first real hike on that trip up Little Moose Mountain. He's my bud.
Other Updates
Wednesday was a beautiful day. Of course I was inside sitting behind a desk watching the day go by. After work, I headed home but made a stop to see some old friends (more on this at a later date). It was a pleasant visit and I am happy I went. While there I also nabbed my 91st bird for the year, yellow warbler.
Once home, The Mrs. and I headed out to move some plants around. Some astilbe had to be moved out of the soon-to-be chicken yard as well as a little fern of some sort. All of these found new homes along the top of our rock wall. We moved four good-sized cat mint into our main perennial bed. Mrs. spread some white clover seed across the front yard in hopes to have it take off and help green things up. We still have a lot of work to do on the back yard.
The bluebirds have been scarce and appear to have lost interest in the nest box. I'm hopeful they'll return.
The peas are doing well and I am about ready to plant round two. It appears the lettuces and spinach I put in are doing well and are up about an inch or so. We have several rabbits running around, but so far the fences are working.
It rained overnight and most of the day. It appears to be over for now.
4 comments:
Yesterday was beautiful, whats happening with the peeps?
Peeps... See next post down under Peep-less....
Ahhhh yes, I'm oblivious.
Nice companion - Logan's a good name.
And yes - you are usually taken as a bit gruff upon first glance.
=)
Post a Comment