Saturday, May 10, 2008

Apple Blossoms

We have three apple trees that my folks planted in the early 80s. They were small enough that even as a kid I could wrap my hands around their trunks. They have been growing with no management and produce no edible fruit though we do get some for the horse. They desperately need to be pruned. I understand that it's pretty much impossible to kill an apple tree, so perhaps I'll try pruning them come the appropriate time of year. The branches are covered in buds which have just started to open. We also have a cherry tree growing near them which is just as old and is also covered in flowers. It is in need of trimming in order to make it look and likely grow better. Orchard and Baltimore orioles LOVE these trees when the blossoms open and have attracted both species for years.

We have had typical Cape Cod Spring weather here for the last day or so. Raw, wet, rainy and downright unpleasant. Luckily the wind was not so strong as to take the blossoms off the trees.

After work today, the weather started to clear a little. I moved a pile of compost I made over the winter using shredded leaves, composted horse manure and ash. It may be the best compost I have ever made and is ready for use. I also mulched the new blackberry stubs with old hay that I had piled up for just such an occasion and mulched the four blueberry bushes (sticks at the moment) with pine shavings as recommended by the nursery.

Sunday is Mother's Day. We're planning on having brunch here with Mrs. G's mother and then I may try to get in a little birding and Geocaching before heading off to work at the dog place.

4 comments:

Live/Love/Life said...

One of my favorite childhood memories was playing under and around the apple tree in my parents backyard. Unfortunately hurricane Gloria just about toppled it so it had to be put out of its misery. I miss that tree..
There is nothing quite as sweet as the smell of fresh apple blossoms.
Don't even get me started about my Grammy's Bing cherry tree in her yard, another favorite memory.

Por2gee said...

omg your house is the cutest thing ever!!!!!

Barry said...

Thanks Robin. You rock.

FFNick said...

My first (and only, now that Ithink about it...) treehouse was in a sturdy Crab Apple in the back yard - really nothing more than a pallet and some 2x's nailed to the tree (I know, how barbaric) for a ladder. Nothing beats the scent of those spring blossoms - just watch for the bees! We used to climb all over that tree. Nice.