**NOTE** I have no idea why some of the below text is highlighted. I've played around with it, but cannot change it.
Last week didn't go exactly as planned, but thanks to a friend, I walked at what we around here call "The Knob". I brought only myself, my camera and my tripod. No binoculars, no notebook, no plan. Just to see Buzzards Bay and Quissett Harbor. It was a it windy and cold, which was great because I wanted to test out a new piece on clothing that I intend to add to my camping/hiking gear.
Because I have learned to look for a deal, I decided to order THE NORTH FACE Triclimate Jacket from EMS because it seemed to match what I have been looking for in a shell, with the added bonus of a zip in/out fleece. It's a lighter color than I wanted in a shell, but with the price I'll deal with it getting dirty. Waterproof and breathable is what I wanted. While it was not raining on my visit to The Knob, there was a stiff wind off of the water which the jacket handled nicely.
The Knob is a wonderful place. The 12 acres were left by Cornelia L. Carey to Salt Pond Areas Bird Sanctuaries in the early 1970s and many of us are grateful to have access to it. There is more information at the link provided in the first paragraph.
Limited parking is available at the end of Quissett Harbor Road, off of Woods Hole Road. I took this image of the parking from the wall along the harbor near the trail.
Kiosk along the trail. Here the trail splits right and left. The right is the most direct route to the tip of The Knob, which I chose today because of a bit of a time constraint. Going left take you along and above Quissett harbor until it finally meets up with the main trail to the point.
Typical trail on The Knob.
I stopped along the beach on the Buzzards Bay side to set up the camera on the tripod and mess around with filters. In the distance is the point of The Knob. The trail becomes narrow with Quissett Harbor on one side and Buzzards Bay on the other. A year ago all of this water was frozen almost solid.
Stone bench on The Knob.
The Knob is well worth the time and effort to experience. One of Falmouth's many gems.





3 comments:
Glad to know the jacket worked out. Windproof is my biggest requirement. Somehow at my age, windy, cold days get me.
No dogs on the hike??
No dogs. Ticks are so rampant so I mainly run them in the yard where the grass is super short and I can immediately check them.
My Fav as you know. Glad to hear the jacket is working out.
Post a Comment