Well, I did it.
I decided pretty much the night before that I was going to go, enjoy myself, have some fun and just find an easy pace that I was comfortable with and take it in. It worked. My slowest year yet, and though I am disappointed in my losses from not properly and regularly training, I am thrilled with how much fun I had and that I made it without the need of a medical assist. There was a blazing, relentless sun, heat and humidity to contend with, but the awesome Falmouth crowds on the route sidelines carried me through. I love this race, and as long as I physically can, I will participate.
A special shout out to Fooesberry for keeping it real for me and slapping me around to straighten me out. You can see her coverage of the race here.
I left the house about 6:20 Sunday morning and headed for town, hoping to find parking at what we call Peg Noonan Park just off Main St. This is right next to where the buses are. I easily found a parking spot and walked through the buses, up to Lawrence School to the proper loading area.
Looking back at Lawrence early Sunday morning. I went through 7th and 8th grades in this school.
Corral to the buses wanting on Katherine Lee Bates Road.
Eel Pond in Woods Hole. I arrived at a perfect time. Relatively few people yet, and I was able to walk just about everywhere.
A few runners hanging out along the water in Woods Hole.
I was able to get to the Start Line this year. I've been here countless times, but somehow the START banner makes it all the more special.
I saw one of our local celebrities, Chris Lambton (in the white tank top) and his wife Peyton (not visible here) from Bachelorette, and Bachelor and currently HGTV and stood very near them, though I could not bring myself to speak to them. I didn't want to be 'that guy', so I just let them have their peace. Chris runs for ALS, which his mother passed away from not so long ago.
After the race, I came upon Chris in Falmouth Heights at the ball field and DID introduce myself, and thanked him for what he does and his continued love/support of Cape Cod. He easily could have left and gone somewhere else, I am sure, but he didn't. He is a class act and I was happy to have met him and shook his hand. He was gracious, kind and humble.
Looking towards the starting line…. Crowds forming before the start. I decided to put myself right in the middle of the nine minute and 10 minute pace groups and sure enough, that's exactly how I ran. The man in the center has THE shirt of the day.
And looking away from the start….
I made it! 67 minutes, 20 seconds. Not too shabby for very little training.
View of the finish line. I can't express how wonderful it feels to cross this finish line.
Falmouth Heights.
Mrs caught this image of me about 5 miles in. I was over the moon the have her there and seeing her helped me get through the last couple of miles.
One sad, but inspiring note about the race. There was an unfortunate accident involving a cyclist prior to the start, but several of the worlds elite runners assisted in the first aid and rescue of the victim. This delayed the start, though I didn't notice. Worth a read. We are all human, and am SO thrilled these fine folks rendered aid to this poor individual. Read about it here.













1 comment:
I am so very glad you came and will be running it with me when I am 80.
Post a Comment