On April 16th Mrs and I went to the Providence Performing Arts Center in Providence, RI to see John Mellencamp and his band. Prior to heading to PPAC we stopped in at Figidini. Mrs knows the owners and we had been hoping to be able to stop in for a visit. What a lovely atmosphere! The place is small, but welcoming. We didn't have time for food, but enjoyed a drink at the bar after getting a personal tour of the place from the owner. There are very close, personal Cape Cod touches in the place including woodwork milled at Cataumet Sawmill, which is very close to Frost Bottom, and glass work by Bryan Randa. We have some of Bryan's pieces and he has also done custom work for us.
I wrote back in 2010 about John's album, No Better Than This, and commented that the album was what I had been hoping for from John. Plain Spoken has exceeded that. Maybe it's because I am growing older along with his music, or I just enjoy his continued tenacity and bucking of the system and especially the current state of "music", but this record hits a chord with me like no other. This record was also produced by T Bone Burnett, who performed on the studio album.
I was able to purchase quality tickets back in September of 2014 and was so happy the night was finally here. I don't regret one bit purchasing third row orchestra seats. We were amazingly close.
After a wonderful opening set by Carlene Carter, the daughter of June Carter and step-daughter of Johnny Cash, and grand daughter of Maybelle Carter of the original Carter Family Mrs and I sprinted to the bathrooms WAY far away from our seats on another floor both in fear that nature would call in the middle of John's set. We made it back JUST in time.
The iPhone makes the stage look so far away, but I assure you we could almost touch him when he came to the edge of the stage.
John's band is as tight and brilliant as ever. Everyone came out in black tie and Mirium in a beautiful gown. The band is as follows:
Dane Clark - drums
John Gunnell -bass
Troye Kinnett - keyboards (also accordion, organ, harmonica, etc)
Miriam Sturm - violin
Mike Wanchic - guitars
Andy York -guitars
We had been at the stage in Albany some years ago, but somehow this seemed so much more close and intimate. I was BLOWN away by the seats.
The show started with two songs off of the new Plain Spoken album. Lawless Times and Troubled Man. then back to the 1980s for Minutes To Memories off of the smash album, Scarecrow. Memories has one of the best lines. "…an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind"
I was blown away by the next song in that I never thought I'd get to hear John perform it live. "Stones In My Passway" is a Robert Johnson cover from John's 2003 album Trouble No More. I was convinced early on he could not pull it off, but was beyond amazed at how he managed it. Perfect.
Next we headed back to 1993 for the title track off of Human Wheels. Another surprise!
John squeezed in one more new one off of Plain Spoken called "The Isolation of Mister". Many of John's hit home and speak to me, but there are a number of lines in this song that I relate to.
Next was "Check It Out" from 1987's the Lonesome Jubilee, "Longest Days" (another personal favorite) from the 2008 Life, Death, Love and Freedom and a solo acoustic version of "Jack and Diane".
Next was an amazing version of "The Full Catastrophe" off of Mr Happy Go Lucky from 1996. Just John and Troye Kinnett on the piano. Epic.
Next, John was joined on stage by Carlene Carter to perform two songs from John and Steven King's musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County. "Away From This World" and "Tear This Cabin Down". I would love to see this show if it ever comes to New England.
After an AWESOME musical medley by Mirium Sturm on violin Troye Kinnett on accordian, John and band launched into an almost entirely 1980s jam of songs.
Rain On The Scarecrow, Paper In Fire, If I Die Sudden (the only one not from the 1980s), Crumblin' Down, Authority Song, and Pink houses. The last song of the show was one that John often ends on. "CherryBomb" from The Lonesome Jubilee.
I think I can speak for Mrs and say we were both blown away by the show. We've both seen John a number of times, and admittedly I was concerned about this 63 year old and his vocals, but I was happily mistaken. A truly epic show in a small venue!

2 comments:
Awesome Barry! Have to laugh... we saw Meryl & he was over 80 but the old timers can really sing!!! Loved your account of a Great night!! Felt like I was right there. I still think of you everytime i hear a JMK song! :)
I remember that you are a huge fan of the man and am so happy you got to see and hear him up close and personal.
Post a Comment