Back in July we went for a weekend camping trip to another Vermont State Park. Allis State Park is a small, quiet park located in Brookfield, Vermont. We had not stayed here before, but swung through on our June trip to check out the sites. It's not too far from Norwich University. It's located off of VT Route 65, which I believe is the last unpaved state highway in Vermont. We brought Harry and Luna along and had an enjoyable stay. We didn't explore too much of the area as this was a long weekend trip rather than our usual week long trips. We really didn't need to go too far, though we did drive around to check out the area. Probably not my top pick for a week long trip, but definitely a stop over point or a long, relaxing weekend of car camping.
We arrived on July 25th, checked in with the caretakers/rangers and set up camp. We had chosen a leanto site called Hemlock. A beautiful site overlooking forest and with a long grassy spot where we could play with the dogs. Technically they're supposed to stay on leash in the state parks, but…
Hemlock leanto set nicely off the campground road.
Great old fire pit with grate for cooking. I removed the grate as we used this mainly for just fires. I prefer these old brick and concrete pits to the steel fire rings being installed in most of the parks.
The site also has a charcoal type grill setup. I just made small wood fires in this to heat up our food. Once finished with supper I transferred the hot coals using my steel dustpan to the big fire pit for a good start for the evening fire.
Our setup in the leanto. We kept the rain fly off, until it rained. Even with the protection of the leanto roof, it can still get damp in a heavy rain.
One of the wonderful things about Allis is the beautiful old fire tower that is well maintained and available to climb. We went up for two sunsets. Sadly the entire top of the tower is riddled with bullet holes. What is it with our obsession with guns and destruction?
Wonderful views and fantastic sunsets from the fire tower. A definite plus for this state park.

There is also a wonderful old pavilion just below the fire tower.
Mrs, Harry and Luna on a damp day.
The campground road from the head of our site. The leanto here is Spruce. Another great site, but we wanted a site we could have the car a bit closer if the dogs were going to be inside.
We picked up this single burner Coleman stove for trips like this rather than bringing the two-burner stove along. Great alternative. We also went with instant coffee and stainless steel mugs. This worked out well for this trip.
Harry waiting for us to get up. They really do very well in the tents.
The only bathhouse in the park is an easy walk from our site, though as you can probably tell we drove in this time as it was pouring the rain. Due to budget cuts, this park was closed for a number of seasons and just this year the showers were repaired and in working order.
Wood shed opposite the ranger station.
Ranger station. Beautifully landscaped and lots of hummingbirds zipping around the flowers and feeders.
There is a loop trail in the park as well, that is rather hilly and strenuous in spots. This giant hole in the rock face is believed to have been home to many generations of hibernating black bears, though I guess it hasn't been used very recently. So strange to see this cave out in the open.
Red eft we found along the trail. Love seeing these little beasts every year we go to VT.
View from inside the leanto. Nice woods and very private.
On a walk around the park one evening, we encountered a porcupine. I think it was that same night we heard them vocalizing very nearby. It's the first time I had heard them outside of a recording. They're very funny to listen to in the dark.
One night we awoke for some reason, a noise perhaps. I can't recall. I got up and with my headlamp on my head but not lit and made my way to the edge of the woods in front of the leanto. We listened and I eventually turned on the headlamp and scanned the woods. I quickly found several 'eyes' reflected in the lamplight. They were reflecting almost bright white and I was trying to recall which critters reflect that color. Something seemed off, but I called Mrs out to have a look. After some time staring at them I decided to pull up my skirt and walk into the woods. The critters didn't move. At all.
Puzzled and now more intrigued at the possibility of a bioluminescence I continued into the woods. I got closer and closer to one of the sources and was disappointed and amused to find not bioluminescence or eyes but large thumbtacks with reflective heads placed here and there on trees. A good joke by someone with my sense of humor!
One last look at out camp.
One of the best things about our trips are the fires. Peaceful and warming.
I like Allis State Park and I hope that the state is able to keep it going. It's only issue is the location and easy access to hiking and other activities. I would certainly go back, but as I wrote earlier, probably as just a stop over point on my way elsewhere.






















1 comment:
Thanks Barry, that was a nice break from the beige world we are living with here.
That lean to is really neat. I have never seen one.
Got me laughing out loud at the thumb tacks. Impressed that you went to look.
Camping days aren't too far off. I do miss those times.
Post a Comment