Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Cape Cod Marathon Half

On Saturday 10/26 I ran in the 3rd Annual Cape Cod Marathon Half in Falmouth.  This was my second time participating in the event.  I had run the route a couple of weeks ago and felt prepared for the run.  The race started at 7:30 on Saturday morning.  A bit earlier than I am accustomed to, but I took the night before off from work to get some rest.

When I left the house to head to town for the start, it was 23°F.  Just a few miles away and closer to the water it was 34°F.  It felt almost balmy compared to the Frost Bottom.  I parked the truck not too far from the finish line and stayed in the relative warmth and comfort of the Nissan.  About 30 minutes before the start I made my way over to the Village Green.  I removed some of my warm clothing, stuffed them in a bag I had brought along and left it in the truck near the start.  This truck would be waiting at the finish line where runners claim their belongings.

The race started like most others.  A local kid singing the National Anthem, quite well I might add, and then a blast of the Falmouth Track Club's cannon starts the race.  It was a good run and I was able to finish with a PR of 1:45:37.  Mrs and her Dad were waiting for me at the finish line which was really wonderful.

I like the half marathon.  It's a good distance for me.

 A little burst of speed before the finish.

1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

Ok, your running has always impressed me but in below freezing weather-- wow.
Congrats Barry on such a great time.