Thursday, June 6, 2013

No Garden? *GASP*

It is now June 6th, and I have yet to turn over the raised beds, never mind planting anything.  It would take me about 4 hours to get them in shape, but I'm not certain I want to do it this year.  Mrs and I have talked about eliminating a few of the beds anyway, and using the best of the wood from those to repair or replace the older, more termite-eaten bed containers.

I technically could still get stuff in the ground.  I have no plants to put in but could just hit the small garden center up the road, and did buy some seed earlier this spring, so I just need to get on it if I am going to do it.  See how I feel later.

We had a nice rain storm the on Monday, with a friend of mine not far from here reporting 3.5 inches in a fairly short amount of time.  I was in the barn during one of the downpours, and got too see in person just how many leaks have developed.  Not major leaks, but something that should be addressed soon.
Guapo had his hoof care appointment at 11:00 that morning.  It was nice working with him in the barn during the storm before Barbara arrived to care for him.  Guap's getting up there in years, though we don't know exactly how old he is.  He is very much retired and there is a strong possibility that, given the green light from the vet, he may be moving to Florida early next year.  Mrs's aunt is building a place in the pan handle and wants a companion horse for her friesian.  It would be a good move for him.  We would miss him, but we need to think about his whole well-being, and I think he needs to be with other horses.  It is a win-win as we would still be able to visit with him.

We have three of our original 8 chickens left.  They are doing well and still producing enough eggs for Mrs (I don't eat them anymore).  Our neighbor has offered to add them to her flock should we decide they need a new home, so it's a good option.

Beyond that, Mrs and I have discussed what to do with the barn and the two sheds (one of which is now the chicken coop).  Right now I'm thinking that I'll move all of my lawn and garden tools and equipment into the barn from my tools shed.  This leaves us with two 10x12 sheds.  Our initial thoughts have been to convert one of them, probably the tool shed, into a type of bunk house (or bunkie, as we like to call it) for 3 season use.  It could also double as a place to take a nap, meditate or sleep out.  It would require some work - new, more weather tight doors and windows, insulation and siding, as well as insect damage repair and new flooring.

We've considered turning the other 10x12 (now the chicken coop) into a fair-weather art studio for Mrs.  Right now she has a spot in the new part of the basement that is fine in the dead heat of the summer, but not much good most of the rest of the year.  This would also require a LOT of cleaning, new doors and windows, insulation, etc.  We would also need to rip the floor up and assess what is going on underneath.  Before it was built, I had taken down an oak tree to make room for it.  Apparently the stump left behind has been growing ever since and is trying to push up through the floor.  This will either mean I'll have to destroy as much of the stump as I can in hopes that it will die, or move the shed about 10 feet.  These are likely long-term projects, if they even happen.  I like the idea of a bunkie, though.  I think it would be great fun.  Sometimes when I visit old friends in upstate New York, just outside of the Adirondack Park, I sleep in something similar, though home built, that they refer to as "The Chapel".  It's smaller, but very comfy and even has a small propane heater inside, which I have used during an October trip.  I think a futon would work perfectly fine in one of these.

Lots to consider if our old pony retires to Florida.

2 comments:

JohnF said...

All the gardens are late this year. We are just finishing up.

Fooseberry said...

I love the idea of a bunkie. It would be like getting away without really going anywhere. Sounds like a lot of work but nothing you 2 can't handle and the outcome of all of those ideas sound awesome. Have fun.