Thursday, May 16, 2013

May

May used to be a month, at least a large portion of it, that I was careful to not plan much of anything that would interfere with my birding.  I spent many mornings traveling to various hot spots for spring bird migration both locally and as far away as Cambridge, MA to Mt Auburn Cemetery.  I enjoyed these trips, but sadly they have gotten away from me.  It's a shame, really.  I seem to have given up on a lot of things that gave me pleasure and satisfaction.

This year seems to be an especially good year for migrants, even very close to the house.  Some years if the weather is good, the birds seem to almost miss the Cape altogether and just continue heading north.  This is one of those years where that is not the case.  The small storm we had last week from the south seemed to bring them in and helped deposit them everywhere.  This usually means the normal hot spots are hopping even more, and with the possibility of more rarities.  Oh, well.

We've got lots of projects planned, so we're never short of something to do.  I expect a good amount of the list will get tackled this month and in June.  I have several weeks off coming up next month, but I don't want to work the entire time.  I'd like to load up the dog and head north to New Hampshire, or maybe to upstate New York if I can make it happen.

Expecting a really nice, sunny day on Friday.  I hope to be able to get over to the conservation property tomorrow to mow some grass.  It's gotten way ahead of me, so my little push mower will have to be set at full height for the first pass if it is not already too tall.  Maybe look for a bird or two there, first.

Ticking away at the list and adding things to it all the time....

No comments: