There is a lot more that I should add to this post, but it's basically a precursor to more to come. In simple terms, I am tweaking what I consume daily. I started eliminating most meat several weeks ago and more recently I have decided to eliminate animal products AND consume no oil of any type including olive oil, which turns out is not the health food we've been lead to believe. More on that in a later post.
Despite my past advocacy for pasture-raised meats in the past, I am no longer going to promote this. True, it's more humane than the usual disgusting factory farms or cattle feed lots, but it's just not worth it to me anymore.
I'm still taking in information and gathering up recipes and spending a lot more time in the kitchen and produce section (preferably organic) of the store.
So, I look at this from several different angles. One of them is financial, both personal and for the nation. Many people look at a "diet" like this (I prefer to call it a proper lifestyle) as "radical". But I ask you... Is a $100,000+ cardiac bypass surgery NOT radical? $50 BILLION dollars a year in the US for cardiac surgeries related to clogged arteries. No, THAT'S radical.
I think we have also evolved to forget what a young, healthy human is supposed to look like. I get extremely annoyed and frustrated when I hear someone say "he needs to eat a cheeseburger" about healthy young man who happens to be fit and has a perfect BMI. This is the LAST thing he needs. In fact he needs to give up that cheeseburger and the oils and the soda and the snacks, but he is still young enough for his body to appear healthy despite the damage he is doing.
So, this post is a little bit all over the place, but I need to go for a run and will cut this short. More to follow in the coming days. Here's a video about diabetes and food.
1 comment:
Proud of you Barry and keep up the good work. I haven't gotten as far as you but am heading in that direction. Smart decision.
Post a Comment