Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Falmouth Flag Day 5k


WAAAAY back on June 10th, I participated in a 5k here in Falmouth that I had done before.  This was an easy, flat course mostly along Vineyard Sound.  I swore I would not do this race again because the pre-race stuff had been so over the top rah-rah Americana it seemed almost fake.  But, the race fell on a weekend when I needed a run and had not done a 5k in a while, so I registered.

This year was far more subdued and pleasant.  None of the fake local-level politicians wrapped up in their red, white and blue showed up to make my stomach turn.

Mrs had stayed home, so I was on my own with a point and shoot camera that I had dug out of the office desk drawer.  I had pretty much given up on this little camera, but it served the purpose of documenting the event and is small enough to carry on a run.  So, the little camera redeemed itself.

 Quiet morning on Falmouth Heights Beach.

 Falmouth Fire & Rescue Department's Ladder 26 - raising the massive flag.

 Race registration at The British beer Company.


 View from the starting line.


 Awards by race director, Rick Sherman.

Well how about that!  I actually placed.  First time in a race.  Second in my age group.

The run actually went quite well.  I was using a 20-something coast guard kid as my pace guy.  I kept him in front of me most of the race, but he petered out about 3/4 of a mile before the finish and I had to pass him.  I did have an issue with the heat during the race, but it was not enough to keep me from giving it my all. I was able to come in 25th overall, and second in my age group with a time of 22:42.  One of my friends from the Sunday running group I go to also ran and she had the same issues with heat.  We both recovered quickly.

All in all a nice day, and it felt good to be back in a race again.  I know I will never win one of these, but that's not really why I am there.  It's about doing my best and feeling good before, during and after the run.

2 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Way to go Barry. Just think if you had prepared. Really nice finish and you did pass the 20 something.

Barry said...

Oh, I was very prepared Patti. :) I still have my coach I started with last year.