Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wonderful Cape Cod Weekend

Monday holidays are not really special for me.  I don't get a three-day weekend when a Monday holiday comes along because my regular days off are Sunday and Monday.  So, Saturday is really my Friday, unless I take Saturday off, of course.  Then it's a three-day weekend.  That said, because I work nights, I DO get to enjoy at least a good part of Saturday.

We had loose plans for the holiday weekend.  A list of "to-dos" here at the house, and a wait-and-see what happens plan for getting together with our new-found pointer friends.  For the most part, the to-do list was ignored. Thankfully.

Harry's breeder's (Maggie) family has a lovely old house here in town on a fairly secluded beach (as secluded as you can get here now), and she was going to be here for the long weekend.  We met up with her, her mother and some of her pack for a walk at Crane on Saturday.  I was happy to have Harry out with a pack of pointers in the woods and fields as he runs alone, most of the time.


I ran with the group at our running class on Sunday morning as usual.  Great workout working on speed and turnover during a run.  We have a few new people in the group getting ready for triathlons or road races later this year.

Mrs and I spent the morning puttering around until we heard from our pointer friends (Ian and Sarah) from New Hampshire who had traveled down on Saturday night and were staying at the beach house.  Maggie was off fishing for the day so we decided to go hang out with them at the beach.  Dogs are not allowed on the beaches this time of year, but this is considered private property.  The beach is located between two jetties and has beautiful sand.  Almost Caribbean-like.  The fog had burned off and it felt like a late June or early July day.  Harry loves to swim (that's a bit of an understatement) so he and several other pointers spent most of our time there chasing a floating retriever toy tossed into the water.  What a blast!  At around 1:30 or so, we loaded up and headed out to find some coffee and something  to eat.  Our plan was to go to our favorite coffee and lunch place in Cataumet, but we called on our way only to find they were closing for the day very soon.  Boo.  We punted and stopped at West Falmouth Market.  I thought they had a deli there and made sandwiches to go.  My memory was accurate and in fact the market was well stocked and apparently makes very good sandwiches.  We sat at a small table outside in front of the store along Rt 28A and enjoyed more of the beautiful weather and chatted.  I had decided to leave my camera at home so I have no pictures from Saturday.  I sort of regret that decision, but as Mrs said later on "sometimes you just have to live it".  She is very correct in that.

We all came back to our place after lunch and spent time on the deck while waiting to hear from Maggie.  They were not sure they were staying another night fearing the inevitable traffic nightmare to come on Monday.  Once Maggie was home, they went back there Mrs and I spent the rest of the afternoon at home and decided to stay here for the evening.  After supper we sat around the fire enjoying some beverages, with the only issue being neighboring yappy terriers.  I'm not sure what their issue was, but it's likely they were reacting to our voices.  I'm not sure how the owners can stand the incessant barking.  Still, it was an enjoyable evening.


On Memorial Day the flag went up to half mast.  I thought of my Dad and always remember how he refused to talk about WWII.  The horror he must have experienced.  I hoped to be home as close to noon to raise it back to full.


Once again, our plan for the day was loose.  Ian and Sarah decided to stay the night so it involved a dog walk with them, Maggie and her pack  We decided it was just easier for us to load Harry and go to Maggie's and who would pass up another chance to go to the beach?  Like most mornings of late, there was a fog, but we could feel it burning off.  We had a great walk on the beach with the pups.  Eventually the fog burned off and we enjoyed the summer-like weather, though it was pleasant even in the fog.

 Our only non-pointer in the group, Frances.  Greater Swiss Mountain Dog.


The blue retriever toy was tossed a bit too far out and the dogs were having trouble locating it, so Maggie went in to look as well.  Ian also went in a bit further up the beach in the direction the current seemed to be going.

 Mrs with Harry in the foreground looking for the toy from a spit of sand.

 Harry eventually spotted it and swam out to get it.  YEAH HARRY!

Harry "helping" Edie carry the toy to shore on one of the many retrievals.   Harry loved this toy so much that we ordered one for him.  A bright orange one so it could be easier seen in the water...

 Pointers splashing into Buzzards Bay.

 Back at Maggie's beach. Frances and pointer puppy Orson.  The fog burned off for a glorious day!


Harry back in the 4Runner. SO exhausted.  As I type this at 9:49 am on Tuesday morning, he is still asleep.  Such a good boy.

A wonderful holiday Cape Cod weekend.

No comments: