Saturday, May 5, 2012

Harry's Obedience

Last month we finished up with Harry's Level 1 Obedience class at a local training facility.  We are familiar with the trainer and his programs as Mrs ran through a program when Logan was a pup, and I had known of him from my years in the pet business.  Prior to the Level 1 class, I met with the owner/trainer, Joseph to have Harry evaluated.  Mrs had already taught him the basics very well, so there was no issue with him being accepted into the class.  He was and continues to be very well behaved and has never even barked during a class.  In fact, he rarely barks at all.

The sessions are more for me than they are for him.  I have confidence issues and probably what amounts to stage fright with the thought of having to preform in front of other participants.  Having been through the first class, I am feeling much more confident in my abilities.  Mrs also attends the classes and also handles.  Joseph encourages family to attend in case the primary handler cannot make it for whatever reason.

I'm pleased my progress and Harry is a pleasure to work with.  He did a super down/stay today.  I was astonished, actually at how well that went.

I am hoping to continue beyond this level, but we shall see what the summer brings.  There are a few directions we could go with him.  Keeping him busy, happy and healthy are my main objectives.  If we can be competitive (strictly for fun!), in something be it agility or obedience, then great.  We'll concentrate on the basics and mid-level stuff.  Happy and healthy. That's what I want.  We forgot the cell phone today, so no pictures yet.  Next week, perhaps.

2 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Happy, healthy and to come when called is so important especially since you like to go off leash.
Keep up the good work.

Barry said...

I'm not sure I like to go off-leash, but it's very important for his exercise and his mind. I never let Logan off-lead and rather regret it. Harry's freedom is important, but I hesitate every time I remove the leash. A selfish hesitation, perhaps. Bella is strictly on-leash. You know greyhounds... ;)