Hello! Yep. Still here.
This morning, I got up at 4:45 to get ready for my first half-marathon. The Cape Cod Marathon and Relay are traditionally held (this is the 34th year for the marathon and 19th for the relay) on Sunday, but this year they added a half marathon (13.1 miles) to the mix. So, what better place to run my first half marathon and have it be a first (hopefully annual!) event in my own town? There were almost 900 or so registered runners though there were a lot missing from the official finish results. This race is pretty much what I have been training for all summer and went in feeling quite well prepared.
I've been watching the weather like a hawk for the last few days. We are in the midst of the first nor'easter of the season (rather big snow storm off-Cape) but we were able to squeeze in today's race before the bad stuff started. In fact, at the 7:30 am start, it was 38 degrees F, light breeze, overcast and I daresay, near perfect running conditions!
I drove myself to the start area and parked in one of several public parking lots near the start line. Mrs would stay in bed, feed the critters and then be at the finish line. I knew it would take the better part of two hours to finish, so no point in her waiting around in the cold.
I felt super during a majority of the run and was well within the pace I wanted to be. I ran the route several weeks ago and took 5 minutes off of that time today. What great fun this race was and I am looking forward to the next event. That will be a 5 miler next month.
I didn't have my cell phone with me at the start, so no pictures to share. Here are a few from the finish taken by Mrs.
2 comments:
Congratulations Barry! Good job. The weather was a bit interesting too. Makes the finish and a warm cup of coffee or hot chocolate all the better. Cheers!
Thanks Brian. I went to watch some of the marathon finishers come across the line a little while ago. I think Falmouth will be my first marathon, next year.
Post a Comment