By the time Irene got to us on Sunday, it had lost a good deal of punch, thankfully, We amazingly never lost power, despite widespread outages around us. We lost some branches and a couple dead pines in the back acre came down. Many apples came down from our trees as well, so maybe we can do something with them.
Yesterday Mrs and I worked on harvesting what little was in the garden this year to avoid losing it to wind and salty air.
The bees and wasps were quite active prior to the storm.
Mrs with a majority of our basil crop.
Sunflower extravaganza.
Tomatoes. We didn't get many, but the ones we have are tasty!
Basil prior to dehydrating.
The storm got cranking in the early morning hours and we slept through some of that. I skipped running clinic this morning as I was over tired and spent (reasons for this will be in a later post). We didn't get much rain at all out of this system, but unfortunately our beloved vacation state of Vermont is in deep trouble with severe and devastating flooding still going on as I type this. We had planned a vacation coming up soon, but we'll have to see how badly the area is damaged or if the campground is even accessible.
We stayed in most of the morning, but finally ventured out around noon time. We encountered the expected trees and branches down here and there. I was heading for Vineyard Sound via Maravista Ave through Falmouth. When we reached the end of Maravista we encounered severe flooding from storm surge and saw waves crashing over what little beach was visible. We had to turn around quickly so I have no pictures of this. We navigated through town to check out Falmouth Heights and actually go there. Two weeks ago I was crossing the finish line of the Falmouth Road Race.
WHDH News truck.
Vineyard Sound at Falmouth Heights.
Mrs leaning into the wind.
Not-so-happy WHDH News crew. It seemed as though all they could do was whine about all the people who were out there in the storm. Tell you what, Sensation Station, you report the news, not register an opinion. Ok? Thanks.
Falmouth Harbor. This was low tide....
The Clam Shack on the upper potion of Falmouth Harbor. The splash is coming up through the decking. Pieces of it were being torn loose.
Clinton Ave just beyond the Clam Shack. This is storm surge water.
Falmouth Harbor. I think some portion of a dock is missing here, but the boat is still tied.
Surf Drive Beach parking lot. The debris in the lot marks where the water was.
All in all not a bad storm. In our neighborhood the most problems were caused by black locust trees. They do not do well in the wind. On my way in to work I encountered a large portion of a locust that had fallen onto a power service to a house as well as the resident's new Jeep.
It is supposed to be really nice all week. Can't wait for some sun.

1 comment:
So glad you missed the bad stuff Barry. Still those pictures are pretty impressive. Liked the Mrs and her Titantic "queen of the world" pose.
That you kept power is a blessing.
Post a Comment