Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Irene Update

Obviously these storms can change by the hour, but it looks more and more as though we may be in for a rough, rough time over the weekend and into next week.  What do I expect?  Well, if the current forecasts hold true, and based on my limited experience (Bob), should Irene maintain at least a Category 1 status (though at this point it looks like it could be a 2 at least) we will lose a lot of trees, sustain some structural damage, beach erosion and potential for coastal flooding in the storm surge, and potentially much much worse if the tides are high when it comes in.

My concern is that this will be very much worse than Bob.  In fact it could be one of the worst storms in many decades.  It certainly makes me mad that we never had the generator switch installed in the house by the electrician like we planned to.  But, we're short on cash and I guess other things take priority.  We're campers, so we'll be using what we have and if I can figure out how to use the generator - we've never had to - we'll at least be able to keep the freezer going for a while.

I expect to be extremely busy over the coming days, but will update when I can.

Good luck, east-coasters.

No comments: