We had been referred to Bayside Runner by our coach as we would get a
Bayside Runner is located at 38 Long Pond Road in Plymouth just off Rt 3 at Exit 5. Adam Stuhlfaut is the owner/operator of this great and relatively new store specializing in runners and walkers. He has an excellent selection of shoe stock as well as clothing and other accessories.
My experience in buying proper running shoes is limited to two places here on the Cape that I won't mention here as they were good to me, but my Bayside Runner experience does not compare.
We arrived at the store a little after 11 am and found the owner, Adam and another gentleman (who turned out to be the representative from Brooks) there chatting by the treadmill. The major difference at Bayside Runner is the analysis that goes into setting you up with a proper fit and shoe for your type. We both went to the store dressed and ready to run as running is part of the analysis. Adam (or any of his employees) will set you up on a treadmill and take digital video of you running from behind from about the back of the knee down. After a minute or so of video, he then will watch it carefully and in slow motion to determine how you run. It was determined that I have fairly neutral step. After the video, you step with bare feet on a board that basically shows heat. With this you can clearly see the arch of your foot. Another factor in what one should wear. It is also recommended to wear your current pair of running shoes and the socks you wear while running. Adam examine's the sole of the shoes looking at where the wear is occurring.
Here is a video link from the store's website. It's a Facebook video but should work with or without a Facebook account. Video...
Adam brought out several shoes out from Saucony, Brooks and Mizuno for me to try and while Adam began the analysis on my friend, the representative from Brooks assisted me with the shoes. It should be noted that at no time did I feel that the Brooks rep attempted to sway my shoe buying decision at all. In fact I was pleased that he was just a seemingly regular (athletic) guy who was not a suit. He was dressed in polo shirt, shorts and sandals. I even mentioned that it was good to see a non-suit wearing corporate representative. Anyway, I tried the Saucony first and headed out into the parking lot for a test run. I walked a bit then broke into a jog and then a run and back down again. They were nice, but I wanted to try something else. Next were one of the two Brooks that Adam had suggested. Very nice, but there were still two more to try. On with the Mizuno shoes. Fail. Nope. Those were the only pair of the four I tried that were an absolute no. They felt awful on my feet.
I last tried the Brooks Glycerin 9 which have a tad more cushion and support, but are still light and comfy. When I put them on I knew almost instantly that these were leaving with me. I laced them up and took off out the front door. These are the ones. I ran around the perimeter of the store and about half the way decided that I did not need to retry any of the others.
It turns out that the friend who joined me on the road trip has a similar biomechanical running style to me and after trying on several pair, she too decided on the Brooks Glycerin 9. I had no knowledge of this until later in the day.
On the way home, we stopped in Buzzards Bay at the new Eastern Mountain Sports store as I wanted to get new hiking shoes for upcoming camping trips and have had a gift card in my wallet for literally years. My old Merrells had taken a beating over the years and needed to be replaced. Not to mention that they were way too small to begin with. I tried a few including the model I have now and decided on the Merrell Chameleon 3 Ventilator.
Great support, Gore-tex and rugged so they should do the trick nicely for hiking and around camp. I also got some new Smartwool socks to replace my old hiking socks. I got to the counter and the young (and tall) lady behind the counter said if I purchased another pair of socks, I could get a fourth pair for free. Offering me free socks is one thing, but having an outdoorsy-looking woman do the dirty work for EMS is just not fair. (just kidding, Honey... ;).... ) So, I left with my new shoes, and 4 pair of hiking socks. My partner for the trip also left with new footwear and socks. A good day for feet!
1 comment:
Boy do I envy you that experience. I have a very hard foot to fit and have never--except for some hiking boots, had shoes to fit properly.
Enjoy your new shoes.
Post a Comment