As a major portion of the country sizzles, we here on the Cape are enjoying an overcast sky with a bit of sun here and there and a temperature that, only just a little while ago, hit 80 degrees F. Yes, it's a bit humid, but tolerable, especially if you are not out working your hiney off. The humidity was most apparent during cycling class this morning, and I was glad to be one bike closer to the fan.
This is our little thermometer in the kitchen. the top number is indoors and the bottom is outdoors. There is also a pleasant breeze that is variable and at times a little gusty. The wind chimes are nearly constant. Friday and Saturday look a little more hot and humid, but not like they're expecting elsewhere. We'll be lucky to break 90 degrees.
Here is the view of our wonderful overcast sky from the perennial bed.
I spent the morning cutting 3 and a half bunches of ripe bananas into (about) 1/8 inch slices for dehydrating. These are a tasty treat and I wanted to have some dried fruit made up for a future camping trip. the bananas took up all the space in the dehydrator and I still have two bags of organic Granny Smith apples, two pineapples and three mangoes to dehydrate. I have blogged about food dehydrating before so I won't get into it too much.
I like to brush freshly squeezed lemon juice onto the tray and then after placing the banana slices on the tray I brush the tops of them with lemon juice. This seems to help keep them from turning dark brown or black and adds a little tang to the banana chip.
I have the Excalibur Food Dehydrator. It's big and it's basic. No timer, just the temperature dial.
It has 9 trays and holds a tremendous amount of food. I also use it to make granola quite frequently. In fact Mrs has pretty much given up processed cereal for my granola.
Bananas about an hour into the process. The heat steamed up the camera lens.
the house already smells delicious and rich with banana flavor.
Food trays in place and waiting for the front cover.
The Excalibur all buttoned up and dehydrating.
No comments:
Post a Comment