Monday, June 27, 2011

On Track

Sunday morning at 7:30 I began a running clinic or classes.  I'm not sure what exactly to call them.  Running class I guess sounds right.  I signed up for 9 or 10 weeks of this, and on top of the Sunday morning runs, I am also doing a cycling class with the same instructor/coach two times each week.

I was a bit nervous going into Sunday not knowing what to expect, but within minutes I was doing a warm up run with another guy through the woods behind my old high school (which was recently renovated to the tune of $70-ish million).  After that little jaunt we started in on track work.  This is the same track (well I'm sure it's been upgraded since) I avoided like the plague 20+ years ago despite the then cross-country and track coaches begging me to join the team.  I guess scrawny little dudes can run or something.  They didn't get me, though I do regret that decision a little bit now.


I really enjoyed this workout and it was great having someone there with a stopwatch keeping track of my time and talking through the tough parts.  This being the first class, I am sure she was just being nice and am certain there is some pain to come.


This morning was my first cycling class.  EVER.  It was myself, one other woman (whom I already knew but have not seen in many years), and the instructor in the basement of her home.  I was there first which gave us time to set the bike for me and get me ready to rock.

We warmed up for about 15 or 20 minutes and then the real work began.  Simulated uphill climbs while standing were much harder than I expected.  If you are not familiar with the equipment the little round knob between the seat and the handlebars (see image) controls the tension on the wheel.  You set this to feel like you are walking through thick mud to do the standing workout.  It took me a few tries to get the hang of changing the tension while still peddling.  She was nice to us and we did numerous sets including these but the uphills were only for 30 second intervals.


The bike pictured is (not my picture) the exact type we use.  So, after a half hour of set after set of seated hills, seated flat ground and standing hills I was soaked with sweat.  What a workout.  I am a little nervous about the upcoming workouts.

The instructor is fantastic and she is one hell of an athlete.  I hope to gain a lot of knowledge and lose some fat from these workouts.  This is better than any gym experience I have ever had.

I am in need of new running shoes.  Mine are way too old.  Did you know that they should be replaced every six months?  The instructor referred me to a place in Plymouth that will probably be the subject of a future post.  Hoping to get there in the next couple weeks.

Vacation ends officially at midnight.  I usually miss work and am ready to go back.  Not the case this time.

No comments: