Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Very Harry Weekend

On Friday, Mrs went to Hyannis and while there on other business she stopped at a (NOT Wal-mart) department store and purchased Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.  We have been anxiously anticipating the release on DVD since we saw it in the theater.  The book is rather long, so it made sense for the film to be made in two parts.  In fact, I would argue that the last two movies could have been done the same way to avoid cutting the details in the books too much.  Despite a lot of detail being cut, they did stick to the story very well, and I suspect this has a lot to do with J.K. Rowling being one of the producers.

I was working Friday and Saturday night, so we made plans to wake up on Saturday, do our chores quickly and watch the movie over coffee.  That's pretty much how it went, though we did stop about half way through and made breakfast (our eggs and thick, crispy bacon from a Winters Grass Farm brush hog).

We watched it again Sunday night over Thai food take away from a great restaurant... and again tonight.  What can I say?  We're Potter Heads.  And damn proud of it. :)

Aside from a good number of hours in front of the tube, we did get some things done over the weekend.  Mrs completed painting "her" bathroom (the bathroom in the addition is used mainly by her).  She caulked and painted the trim as well, and also painted a jelly cabinet that serves as her medicine cabinet.  She painted it white and then distressed it to allow some of the old color to show through as well as giving it that antiqued look.  This change made the bathroom feel even bigger.

I extricated the window screens and screen doors from the basement and we reinstalled them.  Thankfully, I marked all of them last year with their location.  No guessing which screens went with what window.  There are 20 or more screens I think, and that definitely saved us some time. Once the piles of pollen have finished blowing around in June, we'll take them down again for cleaning and window washing.

Mrs has been working on a piece of artwork for a new gift store her step-mother will be opening on or around Memorial Day inside what will become on of the nicest resort and conference centers on the upper-Cape.  We met her dad and step-mom there today, installed the painting in the store and helped out a little bit in setting up some other things.  This should be a great endeavor for mother-in-law.  There is a local resort that is being completely renovated and expanded in one of the premier locations in Falmouth.  I cannot wait to see how the entire project turns out.


Here is the piece.  Please excuse the under construction look.  She will fit in beautifully once the store setup is complete.

The four of us went to our favorite coffee shop (on this side of town anyway) for lunch and then  I spent the afternoon puttering around the yard.  Mrs planted pansies and violas in a bunch of pots and the chickens got out for some free-range time.  They do love their greens and invertebrates.

Mrs went to her third pastels art class, and I continued the puttering until she returned.  Supper, a few beers and Harry.  Weekend complete.  If you're confused by my reference to weekends, and you see that I posted this on Monday, well, Monday is part of our weekend.  For now, at least.

No comments: