Logan's belly wounds have not been healing as well as I had hoped, but things have sort of gone as I expected. One in particular is in a tough spot and lies where there is a lot of stretching when the rear leg is used for locomotion. It's almost asking for longer healing time when surgery is performed here. Without an E-collar, he would certainly have ripped it open fully.
Some of the sutures have pulled through and there is an open area and a distinct, almost foul odor. So, called the vet this morning and, though Dr A was not on, they were able to get Logan in to see his partner. Having a long-standing relationship with Dr A allows me to have his personal cell phone number which I don't use unless I feel it is absolutely necessary, so while en route to his office, I called him to let him know that things were not going as well as I had hoped and I would be going in to see Dr P. He met me there less then 10 minutes later and brought us right in to the exam room. Though I did not expect Dr A to break from his day off, I had a feeling he would.
So, he examined the wounds and attempted to draw fluid from one using a syringe. Finding none, he decided it was likely a case of cellulitis and the open area was best left to heal, at least for now. So, armed with a new round of antibiotics and a spray called Granulex, we headed home. Not much to do now but keep it dry and treat accordingly with the spray. It won't be pretty, but it's what needs to happen.
As for the histopathology report, one of the lumps (taken from his chest) proved to be a "benign collagenus nevus". the other, larger one in his abdomen was a "hemangiopericytoma" or peripheral nerve sheath tumor, grade 1. Cancer, but apparently not as bad as others. We shall be watching closely once things get healed up. It is possible for it to regrow, but apparently that is not common.
Logan is confined to the bedroom with his E-collar to lessen the amount of stress on the wounds and to reduce the risk of damage to our area rugs from his wounds while they heal.
In the meantime, March is moving along at a hare's pace as is the entire year so far. No warm climate vacation this year. I'm okay with that.
No comments:
Post a Comment