Sunday, March 13, 2011

Quake & Nukes

Most of my conservative acquaintances toss out the "we need more nuclear energy" card when we're discussing energy production (and I try to bring CONSERVATION into the talk).  It's a frustrating chat with them since most of them are rude and interrupt all the time (sort of like being a guest on a Fox News program).

As an argument against nukes, I like to use one word.  Earthquake.  That usually produces comments such as "rare" and "technology allows for that", and the like.

So, I will continue to use that argument and point to Japan's latest disaster as proof.  I don't care if there is a fault line nearby or not.  Anything can and usually will happen.

I'm not certain when or how, but someday we're going to HAVE to look at alternatives as the norm.  I wish I had the funds to convert to solar panels as I believe we have the ideal location for it.  With that and a small wind turbine I believe we would be almost entirely self-sufficient in our home.  But, as with everything, money is the problem.

While we were sleeping November, a number of people got into office seeking to reverse any progress towards alternatives to fossil fuels usage (not to mention dismantling the agencies that watch over the safety of such things for us).

Here's just one example at this link.

So, I'll continue to watch us try destroy ourselves in the name of money, and will still use that one word argument.

2 comments:

Marcy said...

I've personally given up trying to discuss conservation even with friends and acquaintances who identify themselves as 'liberal', people whom I describe as SUV liberals. I've finally come to the conclusion that in a consumer culture as all encompassing as ours, there's no longer any meaningful concept of conservation.

As I'm sure you know another argument against nuclear energy that has surprisingly little traction is that of waste disposal and that may be yet prove to be the most deadly aspect of the problems in Japan if the spent rods stored on the site overheat and are exposed.

What a nightmare...

Darlene said...

You might add the words "waste material" or "spent rods" to your earthquake argument. I think it's insane that we are toying with the end of civilization as we know it. The ability to blow up the planet is terrifying.