Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Winter Blues?

I can't say that I have been down in the dumps this winter.  At least not as much as I think I probably should be given the weather and all the bitching that goes with it.  I mean, really, we don't have it that bad here and aside from a couple scares with minor flooding at FBF we had a fairly easy winter.  Would I have preferred more fluffy snow to the heavy blankets of slush we received? Yes.  Would I have preferred to not have had the driveway a solid mass of ice for weeks? Yes.  The good news is, so far, no falls!  I think I fell on my arse several times last winter, luckily with no major boo boos.

I see the first inklings of the spring to come such as noticeably longer days, snow/ice that melts in the sun even if the air temperature is at or below freezing, slightly brighter color on the male American goldfinches, and hair falling out of the horse in great gobs.  Guapo really could use a brushing.

So, what does this mean for me?  Well, I did do something I have wanted to do for a while which is the basic digital photography class.  This is a big step for me and is rather outside of my comfort zone.  I stopped using 'too busy' as an excuse.  One more class to go, though this two and one-half hours will be focused on matting a 4"x6" image.

So what next?  I jotted down a short list tonight.  Aside from my usual time commitment to the Mrs and our little homestead, I am hoping to make a bit more 'me time' which does include some of the usual day to day things I do.  Does that make sense?  In addition to the gardening, animals, and property care (which I try to label as 'me time') I want to try to do a few more things.  Things I have tried to do for myself in the past, sometimes with moderate success.  Running is a prime example.  Do I miss it?  Not when the wind is blowing and the temperature is below freezing.  But I did do like it and miss running the 5k and other races.  I would like to believe I could get back to the level I was in the prime of my short-lived running stint, but am pretty sure those days of under 8 minute  miles are over.  But how will I know unless I get off my quickly widening backside and get the obnoxiously jiggly belly headed down the road again?

Also on the list is to re-read Food Inc and find other publications/guides/self-help to try and eat better.  I will say that I probably do eat better than a lot of Americans, but I am not completely happy with myself and my lack of eating habit.  Example:  No breakfast most days.  Not healthy.

I've been kicking around the idea of joining a local gym to give me a jump start in the energy department.  I need a reason to get out the door.  The photo class is a good example.  I was expected to be there at 9am and made sure I was up and out the door and on time every week.  Give me a purpose, and I am there.  I figure if I can commit to at least a couple training sessions or the occasional yoga class, I might actually get to a point of being addicted to working out.  Right now I don't care if I get out of bed, except to feed the animals.  Here's a clip by comedian John Pinnette that I find absolutely hysterical, particularly around 1:40.





I see the writing on the wall.  Pushing 41.  Time to get this sh*t together!


What's your motivation?

5 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

That was a priceless video. One funny guy.
As for motivation, trust me the older you get the better it is at hiding from you.
The weather helps. We are in the
70's now with windows open. Winter sloth was comfortable and enjoyable but now I am getting excited about doing stuff. This should last till the first rain and will disappear altogether when the temps hit 100+.
Good luck Barry.

Joey C. said...

Ya I try to not do ups unless necessary LOL

Fooseberry said...

About the only up I have been doing:Lifting the beer UP to my mouth. Not exactly the best up out there.
I have been thinking all of these thoughts. I love the feeling of a 5k but if I tried one now I would be on a stretcher in a rescue unit. I am angry for allowing myself to fall back to step 1 or minus 4 I don't know where I am exactly.
I need a Hollywood trainer or an ass kicker at a minimum.
Good Luck to both of us.

Darlene said...

Motivation? You're kidding, right? I am motivated to get out of bed and that's as far as I go.

Because I am over twice as old as you I find your statement of 'pushing 41' as if you are going over the hill to be hilarious. Just wait; In another 41 years you can worry about pushing 82. ;-)

Barry said...

Patti - Thanks. I feel better already.

Joe - I agree.

FB - On a rescue in a rescue unit often equals young men tending to you.... Just sayin'.

Darlene - I always - ALWAYS - get a laugh out of you. Thanks for the perspective. :) I'll add you to my thoughts when I feel the quit kicking in.