According to the history portion of the museum website, The Boston and Sandwich Glass Company was established in 1825 by Deming Jarvis, so much of the work on display in the museum (as with most museums, I guess) is very old.
We arrived just in time to watch a young woman from McDermott Glass Studio do a glass blowing demonstration during which she created a vase that was damaged during the demonstration, but she salvaged enough to make her demonstration work.
So, is it worth a stop into the museum on your Cape Cod vacation? I'd say yes. Admission was $5 per person. I assume that rate is the same during the summer. A few more shots of some things you can see at the museum.
After the museum, we stopped in at a coffee shop located at Russell's Corner in Sandwich.
Across the street (you can almost see the building in the distance beyond the traffic lights) there is an antique place that intrigued us a bit. So, coffees in hands, we walked over to the store. I don't think we expected to find anything. There was a bench that was almost right for our foyer, but a bit to wobbly.
While looking at some old glassware, I happened upon a group of glass milk containers and almost immediately recognized a bottle from Brae Burn Farms. Brae Burn was once a dairy farm - one of several - here in Hatchville not far from FBF. On a small conservation parcel nearby there are several bottle dumps from the farm. Over the years I have found one or two bottles that were nearly in tact, but this one is probably the best. We figured it was worth the nine dollars to have a little piece of Hatchville history.
Mrs also found an old hand-held chopper; something we have been looking to acquire for quite some time. It's possible that our Sundays may now include the occasional trip to an antiques store.

1 comment:
That's a great find, Barry. Keep an eye out for Dorchester Dairy bottles, too. A branch of Dee's family ran that place. She was Dee Dorchester many years ago.
Post a Comment