Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Denied!

So apparently my old family furniture is not good enough for the auction house and they declined to have the stuff in their auction.  I guess we're not high-end enough.  In a message left for us on our home answering system, the representative from the auction house said it's basically just "old, used furniture" and nothing they could help with.  Well, alrighty then.  Looks like something extra for the burn pile this winter.

It's kind of funny that something that's been around for probably a hundred years or more isn't worth anything.  I guess my uncle was right to get rid of or burn all the old stuff when he had to get rid of everything from my grandparents home.

I never claimed to know anything about antiques, but I feel badly about what he said.  It meant something to us, particularly my Mom.  So screw you, auction guy.

4 comments:

Rita said...

As you are working around your garage or outside your house put a piece of furniture out front with a price on it in large numbers. People will stop. Many will buy. They like a good deal and you will feel like you didn't throw away furniture that has meaning to you. Anything with wood has value if it still holds together or just needs a nail or two.

Arkansas Patti said...

Yikes, that was brutal.
Don't burn Barry, have a yard sale.

Barry said...

Thanks. I won't burn anything. I'm sure the smoke would be poisonous. We're reevaluating what to do, and it's possible that we may go to a lower end old used furniture (I can't say antique I guess) place further down Cape.

Hollis Engley said...

Antiques Roadshow, Barry.