Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Another Storm

It's 1:40 am as I begin typing this up from my living room on my tiny netbook.  When I left work an hour or so ago and about 6 miles from FBF, there was a little bit of what appeared to be rain in the air.  Indeed, the digital thermometer in the 4Runner read 34°F.  School has been canceled already for many communities.  The National Weather Service has issued a Blizzard Warning, which now includes Cape Cod.  By the time I arrived home, the snow was falling moderately and the road was already becoming white.  Once again, we're on the edge of what will be the rain/snow line.  The storm is expected to really get going in the early morning hours and we could see wind gusts in excess of 60 mph.  I expect the snow that does fall will be sloppy and will stick to trees and power lines.  Wind is not what we need with that sort of slop.  Whatever comes, we will deal with and are accustomed to.  I will say that I wold rather a foot or two of fluffy snow than four to seven inches of heavy, wet snow.


I sometimes get the feeling that weathercasters and news people look at maps such as this and think they're doing us a favor by making it look as though the coastal areas are being spared the worst of the storm.  But, we're tough Yanks and are quite used to these Nor'easters.  If I have time, there will be some digital captures to follow.

1 comment:

I Wonder Wye said...

1) I love red and black squirrels, mostly b/c we have so few of them.
2) Sorry about the weather. I lived in MD and DC, and my parents are from IN, so know from snow and ice -- we don't have too much in AR though get our share of ice storms....I haven't gotten to MA yet though I want to go.