Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Spuds

I couldn't take it anymore.  I had to go outside and do something.  The garden was where I needed to be.  The skeletons of the tomato and pepper plants have been taunting me.  It just looked so awful.  I apparently caught a bit of a lull in the storm.  Though it was drizzling heavily and there was a stiff, cold northeast wind, I stayed perfectly toasty.  I am not ashamed to admit that I wore my long johns.  After cleaning up two of the raised beds  - one pepper bed and one tomato - I decided to start on the potatoes.  Last year I waited too long and lost a lot.


I dug 10 pounds of Red Norlands in one 8 foot row.  Not too bad.  They are good size.  Not too big and only a few too small.









No sign of any damage from freezing!

After turning over the soil a second time to look for strays, I moved on to a bed of Russet.  Another 10 pounds, though these are rather small, but will be good for a few meals.  Hopefully I can find a suitable place to store them.  What I need right now is a sunny day to spread them out to dry, then they can be stored.

One more bed to go then on to cleaning out the last tomato bed.

I really enjoyed doing this and felt a little bit inspired.  Something I have not felt too much of lately.

In the mailbox today was the latest issue of Organic Gardening AND the latest issue of Runner's World.  I am not one to believe in signs or anything like that, but if there was a day that I needed one, it was today.  So, the running shoes must find themselves back on my feet and my hands have got to get into the soil a little more.


1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

Good looking spuds Barry. Mine have been gone a while-- problem with a small raised bed and I finished my last onion yesterday.
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Organic Gardening. Thanks for the reminder--think I will go order now.