Monday, September 13, 2010

Main Street Mile


Sunday was the Falmouth Track Club Main Street Mile. First held in 1981, this was my second run. I like this run because it is short and sweet.


The run begins at the Village Green in Falmouth, down Main street, right on Walker Street and left onto Surf Drive beach. The finish line is at the parking lot of the Surf Drive Beach House.

Runners and walkers gather on the Village Green.

Courtney Bird of the Falmouth Track Club issuing some instructions prior to the start.

First Falmouth Congregational Church. The bell in this tower was built by and purchased from Paul Revere in or around 1796.

The Track Club has a wonderful old canon that they use as their starting gun. Last year it was out of service so I was quite pleased to get to see and hear it this year.

Our lead police cruiser and the canon! The canon is amazingly loud and startling! After the BOOM the run was on. I was standing right on the line and was, rather unfortunately, surrounded by a lot of little kids. I say unfortunately because I was concerned about causing one of the little ones to trip, or be tripped up myself. Indeed, one little girl did wreck not far in front of me soon after the start, but thankfully Mom was there to scoop her up. I was pleased that I did not have to leap over her as I assume that would be bad etiquette to pass by a child flat on the ground.

Mrs was waiting at the finish line with camera in hand.

Here I am coming in towards the finish (still surrounded by kids!). It's great to have them involved and running though.

Surf Drive Beach parking lot after the finish.

A Mom and Son team. We saw many of these and it's really wonderful. Smiles and cheers abound!
Crowd in the parking lot awaiting the results, raffle drawings.

I finished well and was happy with my time of 7 minutes, 3 seconds. I was not as prepared as wanted to be but it was a fun time and that's really what it's about. Me with another goofy expression at Surf Drive Beach with Marthas Vineyard over my right shoulder and Nobska Point over my left.

No comments: