I have been holding onto a travel bug that I was hoping to unload today. For those not familiar with
geocaching, a travel bug is an item, usually a toy or trinket, with a dog tag attached to it. On that tag is a registration number that is used to track the bug on the Internet. When one finds a travel bug (there is a similar item called a
geocoin) in a
geocache, the finder takes it and moves it along to another cache. Some bugs have specific goals, but most are just sent from cache to cache. I have had a few and some are still circulating the globe. In fact one has made it over the Germany and the Netherlands.
I really need to get the one I have had for WAY too long back in circulation. So, I set out on my bike today to find two caches that were fairly close to
FBF.
Unfortunately they were both too small to handle a bug, but I had a good time anyway.

This little one is known among
cachers as a micro. Smaller ones - and I mean
teenie - are called
nano. This was an easy find. Inside is a small scroll of paper to sign with your
geocaching name.

This clever hide is similar to others I
have found, but once again I literally laughed out loud when I found it. The fake crow is lashed with zip ties to the branch and the cylinder hanging below holds the log.
It was nice to be out caching again. I was missing it and will be making time for a few trips locally.
3 comments:
I keep meaning to try geocaching but guess I need a hand held GPS huh? Maybe someday. There are several sites not too far from me in Ar.
I love the crow. Sure beats an ammo box.
There used to be a GC accessible by boat near where I kayak. But once I got a kayak I haven't seen the GC specifics on the website anymore. Oh well…I like the bird guarding the GC.
Patti - Yeah, the GPS is a good idea. Perhaps there is a group in your area that does it. There are events where you could probably tag along even as a "Muggle" to try it out.
Brian - Geocaching by boat/kayak/canoe is great fun. I did a few in Maine and there are a bunch near here. Good stuff.
Nice to hear from you.
Post a Comment