Saturday, June 26, 2010

Great Days!

I have had a wonderful couple days this week. For some time now I have been stacking up logs under the eve of the barn with the plan of splitting them into halves or quarters for better burning in the outside fireplace. I also had a bunch of pallets to cut up into lengths suitable for burning. I spen four hours in the blazing sun yesterday splitting the wood using a maul and sledgehammer. What a fantastic workout! I cut the pallets using our Sawzall. After cleaning out the other junk and debris from under the eve I re-stacked the wood and then cut the grass around the barn.

I've had this terrible feeling of guilt about neglecting the duties around the property and am picking away at getting things back in order. I've been more inspired lately because we are doing the same thing at the kennel.

The gardens are another story. While the tomatoes, peppers and potatoes are doing very well and growing leaps and bounds daily, I have not planted any seeds. I think I can still eek out some squashes, beans and other things if I get them in the ground this weekend.

Today, I was determined to get out and run. I ran earlier in the week on the bike path. I have not run much of late and was able to get a solid mile in without stopping. Terrible, but it does not take long to lose the conditioning. Where to go today? I didn't want to run near the house, so I decided to go downtown Falmouth and run the 5 mile Coffee-O route with the expectation of having to walk a good portion of it. I normally do not like to run with the iPod on, but I did today. And I ran the entire 5 miles in pretty good time, 43:11 which has me about on my pace when I stopped running regularly last year. I must admit, though, that the iPod was critical and had to force myself through some "I HAVE TO STOP" moments. The weather was not bad; overcast to partly sunny, low 70s, but humid. Along Surf Drive was the toughest spot with no shade at all, so of course the sun was blazing when I got out there.

After finishing up at Town Hall, I took a drive around town, grabbed a little cash from the ATM and went back to Coffee-O for a hot coffee of all things.

So, I feel much, much better about the upcoming Falmouth Road Race at least. I have a way to go to feel absolutely ready for it, but I am no longer afraid.

I spent the afternoon before work mowing the front lawn. another one of those things that needed to be done!

A great day.

No comments: