Sunday, March 7, 2010

That Spring Feeling...

Six day work weeks are getting old, but are currently necessary. As we approach another contract negotiation in a time of terrible municipal budget news (more so than usual), I need some time outside to forget about it for a while. We should be okay, but I lose my breath sometimes when I think of the possibilities.

It was a welcome break to have a Sunday that included short-sleeve weather and got us into the garden a bit. Mrs and I shared the outdoor duties this morning which was nice. I think Guapo appreciated the extra attention. The one down side to a day like this is the increase in deer tick activity. And they are out.

We met with our favorite electrician this morning to go over some work we're considering having done, most of which should have been done after the addition project was completed, but the finances didn't allow for at the time. Most of the work needs to be done in the original part of the house. Lighting in the dining room, security lights, and such. I also am having him include in the quote a box that will allow us to hook the generator into the house electrical system during times of extended power loss. I believe it is long overdue to have this in place, particularly with a freezer that is usually jammed full of meat and veggies. It would be great to have the boiler on the system as well, but I'll be happy with a few lights and to keep the cable Internet box powered up.

Two loads of laundry out on the line on this wonderful 50 degree, clear, sunny day. Spring fresh!

Last year I got hold of four windows that were destined for the landfill. My plan was to make up several cold frames over some of the raised beds. Today, with help from Mrs, I was able to get one in place and in fact planted some cold crop seeds that I had left over from last year. Kale, hardy lettuces, pak choi, and spinach. I have not played with this type of set up seriously before, so I am winging it.

Turning in some fresh compost.

Yep. That's snow.

The design is simple. Old bale of straw at the back and straw stuffed into 'bags' we fashioned from old fruit crop bird netting custom fit for the sides. This should - hopefully - act as insulation at night. If it becomes too warm during the day, the window can be lifted up a bit for venting off the heat, or removed altogether. I may have jumped the gun a bit, but that's half the fun. And I am hungry for fresh greens!


Tulips poking up in the front yard.

The chickens were thrilled to be out again and took long, filthy baths in the soil. It's the simple things...

1 comment:

suzyQ said...

Oh how lovely to see dirt!
Your strawbale cold frame strategy is ingenious - I might have to steal that idea.