I am 33 pages into another book called Harvest - A Year in the Life of an Organic Farm - which is about a couple who go in to organic farming in their 40's in Royalton, Vermont. Royalton is all of 41 square miles. The 40 acre Fat Rooster Farm is beautiful, but how could it not be?
I usually try to wait until I have finished reading to mention a book, but I am very taken with it so far. One particular paragraph caught my attention giving me a slight sick feeling.
"In 1954, there were some sixty-four farms in Royalton. Fifty years later, there are fifteen, four of which, including Fat Rooster, are organic; most of the rest are dairy farms. If anything, that total number may decline even further in time. The old farmers go out, and their children don't want to continue; the cost of being a small dairy farmer is too great, and the price the milk fetches is too small."
1 comment:
Jewels at Shine On is big into organics. Can't seem to get her to post these days though.
It is a really long drive here to buy organic foods. Locally there is just a smidgin.
Keep going down the right path Barry.
Post a Comment