Wednesday, March 17, 2010

American Woodcock (aka Timberdoodle)


Mrs and I went to the Frances Crane Wildlife Management Area just before sunset to watch and listen to the aerial displays of American Woodcock. The management area is an extremely reliable place to find them. This time of year the males perform amazing flight displays. Here's the description from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology:

"The male American Woodcock has an elaborate display to attract females. He gives repeated "peents" on the ground, often on remaining patches of snow in the early spring. After a time he flies upward in a wide spiral. As he gets higher, his wings start to twitter. After reaching a height of 70-100 m (230-328 ft) the twittering becomes intermittent, and the bird starts chirping as he starts to descend. He comes down in a zig-zag, diving fashion, chirping as he goes. As he comes near the ground he silently lands, near a female if she is present. Then he starts peenting again."

Here is a link to the audio portion of Cornell's info on woodcock.

American Woodcock audio...

Here's a YouTube video which gives a bit of info and great views of the "peent" portion of the displays. Sadly, there isn't good audio of the aerial display.

4 comments:

Marcy said...

Isn't she adorable! I've spent hours listening to the woodcocks but I never knew it was possible to get so close with a flashlight. It's a bit early here but I'll be out at the park in a few weeks with a flashlight. Thanks for the post. I'm also loving the picture of the dog you're using in your banner. Any chance of getting a copy? It's gorgeous.

Arkansas Patti said...

lokibalderMy she is perky. Really interesting video. Will have to check if Ar has any.

Mama Feoneafey said...

I so enjoy you blog ! I have an award for you here...

http://mamafey.blogspot.com/2010/03/oh-wholy-cows-i-got-second-award-from-2.html

Barry said...

Marcy - Thanks for the comments. I'll e-mail you privately about the photo.

Patti - I believe they are year-round residents in your neck of the woods. Or fields, as it were...

Mama - Thanks for visiting!!! I will check your site soon and thanks so much.