Mrs and I have been spending many hours sorting through boxes and boxes of papers. Mostly these are old bill stubs (from 1999 - 2002 the past few nights), but I have found some old photographs as well. We now have bag after bag of shredded paper and bags of empty envelopes ready for the recycle truck. Hopefully they will take all of the stuff we will be putting curbside since the town, in it's infinite wisdom, has hogtied the residents creating the need for an Act of Congress to get through the gate at the dump.
In an effort to force people to stop using the transfer station and instead put there trash out by the road, and to bridge a $250,000 budget gap, they are now charging $2.50 per bag of trash on top of the cost of a sticker to get into the place. I suppose the logic behind this is good. Make people use the curbside pick up that the town is paying for already and not use the containers at the transfer station. Normally we have one, maybe two small bags of trash per week, but this week we had four small and two large bags given the ongoing clean out of the basement. Luckily they took everything. I have not had a dump sticker in years because we do use curbside almost exclusively, but on occasion I would take some stuff when I made my runs with the kennel trailer. That practice has now stopped as well.
The thoughts of a few of the folks that I know who regularly use the transfer station for trash and large volume recycling is that they will not even bother buying the dump sticker or the stickers to places on each bag. I guess this will save a little on manpower spending, but I am not certain how this will raise enough money to cover the needed funds to run the dump.
It seems they also have a capital improvement project in their sights to build a new heated/air conditioned gate house with bathrooms, etc.... What?
So, I hope the guys picking up my years (decades, really) worth of stuff appreciate the added bags and piles of cardboard boxes. And I hope the town enjoys getting absolutely no more money from me for a useless dump sticker.
3 comments:
people like my parents who have a small buisness or farm get screwed, it is of my parents opinion that they would of much rather paid more on a dump sticker then have to worry about the number of bags they can, or can not put out.
In my Florida community, garbage collection was part of your property taxes. Everyone was covered and had to pay.
Here, I am the garbage person and have to haul it to a landfill myself after recycling.
Looking forward to the dude who comes up with the vaporizor method.
I agree with your feelings about corporate political advertising. Yuck.
I have something for you on my site.
Por2gee - I agree. I think the town would have covered their expenses with the increase in sticker.
Patti - Our curbside is covered by our taxes, for now. Some towns up here don't have curbside unless you pay for it yourself.
Might be time to get a burn barrel. ;)
Post a Comment