After getting the critter chores done this morning, I loaded up the gear - except the camera - with the intention of just taking a quick walk over at Crane Wildlife Management Area. There have been reliable reports of a northern shrike. I always enjoy watching shrikes and need them for my 2010 bird list, which I am determined to keep up with. Despite a good walk, lots of searching and studying every cedar, oak and other shrubs poking up in the fields I could not come up with the shrike.
I really wish I had brought the camera though. Everything was covered in fantastic frosty ice crystals. The grasses flattened by the big snow last month were so covered with crystals, it almost appeared as though it had snowed again.
On the walk back to the 4Runner I enjoyed watching a group of eastern bluebirds working the fields. I almost always hear bluebirds before I see them, and indeed that was the case today. They were joined by a feisty bunch of American goldfinches.
I decided to try once more to see the bald eagles in Mashpee. So, off to the state boat ramp off Rt 130. As I drove onto the ramp I could see two adults cruising low over the water almost directly at me. I hopped out with my binoculars and watched them. Just before the ramp they shot up towards the sky and into the trees not far above. And again, I regretted leaving the camera at home....
Oh well.
2 comments:
Me too. I am sorry you left your camera at home. At least you got to see and enjoy them. Keep that list going.
Birds too! I'm terribly ambivalent about my camera. I think when I go out with just binoculars I actually see more. We had a shrike in the area a few winters ago and I happened to see it take a junko out back. It looks like a sweet songbird until you notice those talons.
Post a Comment