Thursday, December 3, 2009

Screech Owl Rescue & Release

Last week I took the night before Thanksgiving off to be home with the Mrs and be available to register for the We Gather Together 5k. I received a call from Lt Read (see video) with questions on caring for an owl (I presumed screech owl based on his description) he had located in the middle of one of the busiest feeder roads to the Town of Mashpee. Well, I am not a wildlife care specialist, but he knows me as a nature guy and no one else was available with Cape Wildlife closed for the holiday.

I offered what little advice I could knowing that it would likely not starve to death while in his care if he could not get the little owl to eat anything and it did not sound as though there was any life threatening injury.

All turned out well and the owl was released yesterday, one week after it's rescue.

One note about the video... Eastern Screech Owl is not the smallest of the owls as the wildlife rehabber stated, but I am sure she just misspoke. The link also contains a great sound file of screech owl vocalizations.

2 comments:

Hollis Engley said...

Great little owl story, Barry. Dee's been hearing what sounds like a bigger owl here in the neighborhood very early in the morning. Great horned, maybe? It's coming from down in your direction, so you'd be able to hear it to.
Hollis

Barry said...

Hollis - Great-horned owls are very likely. They are quite common in our area and I hear them frequently. I also hear and see screech owls quite a bit.

We're planning on a trip to your place soon to buy Christmas presents.