I grew up watching my mom hang the laundry. It was a huge money saver for us, especially considering we had electric heat at Frost Bottom back then. That's what she grew up with in Eastern Pennsylvania, not far from where the Yahoo story is unfolding.
I hang my laundry every chance I get. When I don't get to do it, I get a sick feeling. Call it residual Lutheran guilt or whatever, but I just can't justify using the dryer to it's full potential. I will admit that I do a finish tumble to take the wrinkles and stiffness out of the line-dried clothes, but I am convinced there is still a substantial savings.
The lady in the video is correct. Hang drying inside just isn't the same, but I do it anyway when the weather is bad or the days are too short for optimal drying.
Oh, and we use cold water for the wash cycle. Our washer is a high capacity, low water usage unit.
5 comments:
Awesome post. I saw that article on Yahoo, too. Yep, cold water wash, and to the clothesline. I plan my laundry washing by the weather forecast.
Hoping to revive mine this Spring. With the weather the way it has been I should do it now.
B, I will be blocking my eyes as I pass your house now !!
As long as the socks and shorts with holes in them are hung away from the road,what is the problem?
I can remember when the more electricity you used the cheaper the kilowatt price was. That was long ago and far away.
Nothing is quite as delicious as crawling into bed with crisp, clean sheets that have been dried hanging out in the sun, fragrant with fresh air.
Post a Comment