Monday, July 6, 2009

Solo Bike Trip

On Monday, I took advantage of a fantastic weather day and took a solo bike trip around town. I wanted to get out and about on the bike, but did not want to haul it to the bike path on the back of the car. I wasn't sure exactly where I would end up, which is exactly what I wanted. I left the house just after 1:00 pm.

My loose plan included the bike path, so I headed out from the house and went towards North Falmouth. Rather than going immediately onto the bike path I stayed on County Road and went to Megansett Beach and poked around the village of North Falmouth.
Megansett Harbor. The adjacent Megansett Beach was busy. We enjoy this beach. Not at all a rowdy crowd.

Falmouth Public Library, North Falmouth Branch.

Old home on Old Main Road. I believe it is the John Nye home, but don't know the circa date.

Falmouth Fire & Rescue Department Station 3 (built in 1953) with Ambulance 36 and Engine 23. Intersection of Old Main Road and Wild Harbor Road.

Across the street from the fire house is the Wild Harbor General Store. I pumped gas here when I was a kid. It was strictly a gas station and repair shop back then.


After the General Store, I headed up to the bike path via Pine Street and County Road. There is plenty to see and do in North Falmouth, but I wanted to cover some ground. Once in West Falmouth I hopped off the path at Chase Road for a quick view of Mashapaquit Creek (pictured below) and then back on the path to continue towards town.

Next stop was West Falmouth Harbor which is easily accessed from the bike path on Old Dock Road. Makes for a nice stopping off point.
West Falmouth Harbor


Back on the path, a short ride brings you to Chapoquoit Road. This makes for an easy ride to Chapoquoit Beach.
West Falmouth Harbor from Chapoquoit Road looking back towards the location of the above image.
Chapoquoit Beach. Not much beach left there, especially at high tide. Still, a popular beach on Buzzards Bay.

I bypassed the bike path and went to Rt 28A and back tracked to Old Dock Road.

Falmouth Fire & Rescue Department Station 4 built in 1930. This station houses one piece of apparatus, Engine 24. I love this little firehouse.

West Falmouth Market at the intersection of Rt 28A and Old Dock Road. A great stop off point for a bite to eat or drink.

Back on the path from Old Dock Road, I headed straight for Falmouth with a quick stop at Great Sippewisset Marsh to breathe it all in and take a photo.
Great Sippewisset Marsh (in part).


I stayed on the bike path until Depot Ave., but there are several more places along the route to stop and eat or visit. At Depot I took a right and pedaled up the hill to Highfield Hall and Highfield Theater.
Highfield Hall. This building was once in terrible shape but after the town took it and six acres of land by eminent domain in 2000 and through donations and a tremendous effort the hall was magnificently restored. A more complete history is here at Highfieldhall.org.

Next door to Highfield Hall is Highfield Theater. We have seen several performances here by The Falmouth Theater Guild. It is also the summer home of The College Light Opera Company.
Beyond the theater is the Falmouth campus of Cape Cod Conservatory of Music and Art.

Rather than get back on the bike path, I took Depot Ave and crossed Palmer Ave (aka Rt 28) to cut through the parking area behind Coffee Obsession to Queen's Byway. I contemplated a coffee, but at this point I was rather hungry. I rode right down Main Street with the intention of going to Windfall Market to pick up something for lunch and then sit along Falmouth Harbor to eat.

Some images from Main Street:
St. Barnabas Episcopal Church.
Main Street (aka Rt 28) at Town Hall Square.

Falmouth Fire & Rescue Department Headquarters/Station 1. The original firehouse (has more white on it and is on the left of the photo) was built in 1929. In 2002 a major addition was constructed and has some odd angles in order to fit on the lot. It turned out nicely and seems to be working out very well.

Another view of Station #1. Engine 21 on the ramp.


I continued down Main Street and took Scranton Ave. with a quick left down Robbins Road for a look at Falmouth Inner Harbor, then back up to Windfall Market which is located on Scranton Ave. I secured the bike to the rack in front of the store and headed in to find some lunch. I could have easily purchased arm loads of food, good and bad. I was so hungry. I opted for a cranberry, walnut and chicken salad sandwich and a bag of Pirate's Booty.

I have this annoying habit of continually checking for my car keys pretty much wherever I am. I had no keys at all and still found myself looking for them, and not feeling them in my pocket would get a sudden, but brief, feeling of panic, until it would sink in that I was here on two wheels and that my ride was safely locked up outside the store. I paid for my meal, snagged a paper towel from the checkout guy, and headed for the harbor.


Falmouth Harbor. Not a bad place to have a late lunch.

After lunch, I continued up Scranton Ave to Clinton Ave to Surf Drive. At Surf Drive I picked up the bike path again and headed for Woods Hole. I wasn't sure I wanted to go all the way down there, but I figured I was this far, so why not?

Steamship Authority lot at Woods Hole. M/V Martha's Vineyard unloading and passenger vehicles waiting to board for the trip to Martha's Vineyard.

Eel Pond, Woods Hole.

Unknown sailing vessel docked near the Steamship Authority.


What a day. After cruising around Woods Hole for a while, I headed back up the bike path and headed for North Falmouth. At about the Great Sippewisset Marsh, my cell phone rang and T was calling me to see where I was. I asked her to meet me in North Falmouth with the car so I could get home a little bit quicker. It was about 6pm and I had been out for almost 5 hours. I can only guess at my total mileage. I am thinking 30 miles, but it may have been less and it may have been more.

This kind of trip really makes me appreciate where I live and what it has to offer.

I look forward to more of these little excursions in the future. Thanks for taking the time to see a little bit of Falmouth with me.

5 comments:

Gia's Spot said...

Very nice post, B.! Really makes the town look awesome (oh it is!)But its 333 here in Dispatch, why are you awake?

Barry said...

Thanks Gia. I hit the hay around 2:30. I wanted to get this done as I am backlogged. I do need to review it for misspellings though. Off to do that now.

Arkansas Patti said...

Just a wonderful post. Such an amazing trip and I never felt the first "burn". You can peddle for me anytime.
So many places I would have had to stop longer than you did but great job.
Envy your ride and thanks so much for taking us along.

FFNick said...

Whew. Man, that made ME tired!

Nice ride for sure!

And hey - I do the same thing - keys, phone, wallet,...keys, phone, wallet...

Barry said...

Patti- Believe me, I wanted to stop. particularly at every ice cream joint I came across. ;)

FFN - It was a good time. I missed two of our five fire stations. Next time.

I'm pretty much the same - wallet, keys, phone - I really am funny about my keys though. I have to be looking at them in my hand before I will close the door of the vehicle... OCD much?