

These first two images about sum up our day. Wet and raw. 46 degrees at 11:00 in the morning. Our tentative plans dashed (we were considering a ride on part of the new bike path), we decided to head down Cape for grain, seedlings, and one
Geocache.

First stop at Cape Cod Feed and Supply Inc for grain for the pony and the feathered ones.

We then stopped in
Cummaquid at the
Barnstable County Farm (The
Barnstable House of Correction inmates worked the farm, but budget cuts forced it's closure) now leased by
Cape Cod Organic Farm. I received information that they would be opening on May 15
th for plant sales. I was interested in heirloom varieties and I knew they would have them. I also wanted to support them. But, I had apparently received only partial information as the woman who actually took a moment to speak with us advised they were only open on Saturdays at this point for seedling sales. Way to lose my business.
So, we headed off to
Cape Abilities Farm in Dennis where we found most of the varieties of tomato I wanted to try as well as some hot peppers, and herbs. We left with 26 plants, a complimentary tomato and a bumper sticker.


We headed back to
Yarmouthport to search for a
geocache placed by
Mrs's brother and nephew about two years ago. We could have parked about 9/10 of a mile away at the end of one of few remaining "Ancient Ways" on the Cape guaranteeing public access to certain areas, but decided to drive in.
The Ancient Way is surrounded by condos, large houses and golf courses. I imagined what it must have been like before all of it was built. Here you can see the golf course on either side of the way. Very weird to be driving through here.

There were two of these tunnels along the way. Very strange.

The last shots are in the area of the cache site almost a mile in at the edge of a massive salt marsh. Unfortunately, despite our efforts, we did not locate the cache. We left rather more damp than when we arrived, with a few ticks and more exposure to poison ivy than I care to think about.


Now, as I type this up at 7:12 pm, the sky is starting to clear and the setting sun is shining across the treetops. The set up of a beautiful day to come.
Work tomorrow? Of course...
1 comment:
Such a dreary day but you made good use of it. That is one weird tunnel.
We have cooled off here a bit but at least the rain has stopped. Having to mow every 5 days. Fortunately it is early enough in the season to still think it is fun.
Hope you warm up soon.
Post a Comment