Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bike To Work

About a year ago, I took a part-time job in another town working at a small dog boarding facility which mostly provided daycare but had some overnight boarders. The drive was silly, really, for the money I was making ( losing?) given the gas prices at the time - $4.20/gal. With the piglet truck using a gallon to get there and a gallon to get home it was not worth my time. I did like the place and the people were nice, so it was hard to not continue with it.

One day, I popped in to the kennel at which I got my start and back on my feet after college and later managed. I was there for 8 years. When the bosses found out what I was doing and what I needed, they were gracious enough to offer me more time and better pay than I was getting at the other place. Not only is it in the same zip code, it's an easy bike ride from my house. I was all hot-to-trot to be able to ride my bike to work.

It's almost a year later, and I finally rode my bike to work today! It was wonderful and took all of 12 minutes to get there.

On the ride home I saw and heard at least two dozen Baltimore orioles among other things. It made my day. It really is the little things in life.

6 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Proud of you for biking to work. Way to go. That is the biggest thing besides family that I miss about Florida. I used to bike all the time but the Ozarks would give Lance Armstrong pause so I am stuck with stationary biking on the porch. Really miss it.

Barry said...

Thanks, Patti. We really have some nice areas around here including a newly expanded bike path that I've mentioned before. Hoping to take a ride on that with a blog to follow soon.

Fooseberry said...

I will give you a ride home if you dare ride here.
Remember your reflective vest.
Have Fun!

Gia's Spot said...

Do you have a horn or bell so when you pass my house you can toot?? I too wanted to ride my bike to work but all of you said I would be road kill in a week, bummer,!! Have fun!

Barry said...

Gia - when I was a kid I would ride all over the place, including the main Rt we take to work. I wouldn't go near it now. Way too many idiots drunks, and druggies behind the wheel. Sad.

Oh, and no horn or bell. I can yell or something. :)

Live/Love/Life said...

I have contemplated the Bike thing as well - But as you know I am always running late as it is......