Saturday, March 7, 2009

Peterson Farm And The New Bike Path

Mrs and I had a day off together and after a morning of chores we headed out to Peterson Farm to see the lambs. They were born very recently and we had to take advantage of a beautiful day. I had sent the Mrs. a link from Cape Cast hosted by Eric Williams earlier in the week and this prompted us to go see the little ones.

I had been visiting the farm for years before the town purchased it in 1998 for open space. The original llama, Harley, that guarded the sheep flock became the subject of a children's book called Harley by my dear friend Star Livingstone and illustrated by local artist, Molly Bang.

Harley passed away within the past few years. There is a handsome llama there now in his place, but Harley can never be replaced.



Here is Mrs with a Scottish Black-faced ewe.


One of several sheep with little ones.


Old piece of farming equipment salvaged from the 88 acres farm.

After spending time on the farm we wanted to walk a section of the former railroad bed that has become a long addition to the Shining Sea Bikeway. We walked for several miles despite it being "closed" as it is still under construction and saw many people walking, running and riding. I look forward to using this as much as I possibly can for biking and especially training for runs. The rail bed conversion adds miles and miles of path connecting Woods Hole to North Falmouth.




(All photos by Mrs.)

3 comments:

Gia's Spot said...

Oh awesome pics, B and Mrs ! Makes me very excited to get there also!!

Arkansas Patti said...

Did not know llama's were used as herd guards. How unique. But then I have heard of donkeys doing the same thing.
Love how many areas are converting old rail heads to bike and hiking paths. Wonderful recycle.

Cindy said...

Hi Barry, My daughter, grandson and I walked the new bikepath section yesterday (in the rain!) We only did about a mile, it was too wet, but the little guy had cabin fever and we had fun, only got a couple of pics, but came home with some neat rusty railroad spikes and other metal. (Not to mention coffee, salsa, cheese and chocolate cake from North Falmouth market- destroying all benefits of the little bit of exercise.)
I have to check out Petersen Farm, the kids would love it.

Great pictures! Oh, BTW, I recently watched Elizabethtown again with my sister- I love that movie, too! I lived in the next town over ( Radcliff, KY) for a couple of years.