Monday, February 9, 2009

Back On Track?

I finally dusted off my running shoes and hit the road today. My plan was to do the short, two mile route from the house, but when I was ready to go I decided to do my old Couch To 5k training route. I did start off with a five minute brisk walk, and half way into the route had to stop to tie my shoelace, so I walked a bit more to get my wind back.

It was absolutely beautiful today. When I left the house sometime after 11 am, it was 39°F with bright sun in a crystal clear sky. A bit of a cold breeze, but not bad. I was able to wear shorts, a cotton t-shirt and a long sleeve "Dry-fit" Nike shirt without feeling cold. At least I told myself I was not cold. It was SO great to be out on the road again and I did not pressure myself with a time limit. I was pleased that there was very little traffic on the road. I counted 4 cars the entire route.

I almost brought Bella along for the run to see if she would make a good running companion, but she had other plans...


Sprout watching the cars go by.



Mrs & I were able to let the chickens out for a romp today. They ended up in the compost heap again, and I turned some of it over so they could get some tasty treats.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Time limits are not fun. It has been beatiful in Maryland as well. I think Joe spends most of his day in the same manner as Bella did during your run.

The Forge Village Farmer said...

Do Bella and Sprout get along? I always thought greyhounds and cats didn't mix. Which is why I never got a greyhound, even though I always really wanted one...

Barry said...

Bella is my 4th greyhound (I had three at once back in the 90s). All of them got along very well with our cats. I worked in greyhound adoption for 8 years at the boarding kennel I managed and currently work at part-time. As long as they are tested "cat safe" they do very well. Any reputable adoption agency should know if the dogs are safe of not. True, many greys are not.

Now, a rabbit in the backyard may be a different story...