The inside cover reads, in part: THE AMAZING PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH DIALECT
Many Pennsylvania Dutch people still speak the language of their forefathers, who came to America in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is the "Deitsch" of the Rhineland in Germany, sprinkled with words from Switzerland and a few from English. It is a language of homely expressions and humor. The dialect varies a bit from county to county in Pennsylvania but the differences are not many and most Dutchman can understand each other.
We were not true Pennsylvania Dutch, though I suppose it could be argued we were because we were Lutheran, and some of the language seemed to be picked up along the way. I worked with a woman for a few years who was from the Harrisburg area, and she really spoke that way. Her father could speak it fluently. I often wonder about the future of the dialect and if it will hang on. I tend to doubt it, but I am not exposed to it any longer.
Another thing that I really appreciate are Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs. We have a small one on our barn. The Unicorns Hex which represents peace and contentment. I don't share the religious aspect of those folks, but I do feel connected to it. As time goes by I know I am losing what little of this I had and now I have this odd New England accent occasionally laced with some old Pennsylvania heritage.
5 comments:
I deleted my comment for fear it would be misunderstood -
I think you should absolutely learn the dialect.
I think it would be neat to learn.
Of course some of the guys may not understand at work, or they will think it is me without coffee.
: )
I tried to understand some of the phrases but I just confused myself :-) My parents have a hex sign on their barn, I'll have to look at it next time I'm over there. We took a trip to PA when I was like 10, certainly not the age group that would enjoy or appreciate such a trip, I'd like to go back.
Just stopping by to say hi. I love your blog... a neighbor in Mashpee
Welcome, Wildeve. I checked your blog out as well. Very nice. I especially enjoyed the Northern Exposure piece. A favorite show of mine as well.
I dated the son of a Mennonite minister in college. We connected on language, strangely enough. My Scandinavian family would say, "go Red (clean) up your room." and "quit rouching (squirming) around," as would his Pennsylvania Mennonite kin. :)
Post a Comment