I made the suggestion a week or so ago that if we had the day off we try to do at least some local birding on MLK day. I did have to work the evening, but I figured I could put in a few hours in the morning. Mark was in, but Tom was going skiing.
Last night I confirmed with Mark that the weather looked acceptable and that I would pick him up at 7:30 am at his house.
I got up around 6:00, fed the critters, had several cups of coffee and a little breakfast, then headed out. I was a little late getting to Mark's due to icy roads. We headed for Falmouth Center in search of a pink-footed goose that had been reported recently. There is very little pond/bay water free from ice so our options were limited as to where to look. We checked several areas around town with no luck on that particular goose, but we ended at noon at, around or slightly above 50 species. I'm still waiting for Mark's e-mail with the complete results.
The Knob
Nobska Point from Shining Sea Bikeway near Trunk River. The water on Vineyard Sound was superb for viewing today. Hardly a ripple in the water. We had excellent side by side views of male and female Common & Barrow's Goldeneye from Falmouth Heights.
Perch Pond
One of our last stops to look for waterfowl was Perch Pond. This is usually a spot that has some open water that helps to concentrate birds. We had pretty good numbers of several species and three drake Eurasian Wigeon which is a nice bird to have. Three in one location is, I think, really good. Below is a wider view of the same spot. There were several shell fishermen in the area breaking through the ice for tasty bivalves.
Finally, introducing the "new" Frost Bottom Farm truck and bird-mobile. Turns out, this is one of the best birding vehicles I've had. The back seats can be lowered allowing for scopes to be placed inside with the legs of the tripods still fully extended which saves time at various stops along the way. Quite comfortable and easy to maneuver.
1 comment:
I came across your blog because a fellow blogger recommended it, Wildeve-musings. Anyway, I grew up in Falmouth and it has been a joy to look at all of your photos of Falmouth and of the cape. What fun it must be to live on a farm! Well, keep up the great work... you've got a wonderful blog!
Post a Comment