Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ice-capades

Snow, rain, snow, ice, more rain, ice. Temperatures in the teens and in the 40s. After the snow storm, we had a rain storm. This caused a brief melt which then froze solid. Our driveway is a disastrous stretch of frozen ruts. I expected to get back out to clear off the remainder of the snow with a shovel (I can't use the snow thrower at it's lowest setting due to the seashell driveway) but didn't get to it before the freeze. I am expecting a bit of a thaw over the next few days with rain on the way and a high of 52°F tomorrow.

Today was actually sunny and a nice change. I spoke to some friends in upstate New York who have been under snow cover since late October. They were almost balmy today, near 20 degrees, after many nights of below 0°F.

I would love to just pack it up and go enjoy the crisp, COLD air of the Adirondacks for about a week, maybe two. Do some cross country skiing and/or snow shoeing around Bubb, Sis, Moss and Cascade Lakes; all places I enjoyed so much twenty years ago. Nothing treacherous, but very much enjoyable and spiritual for me. I left my heart there and I feel it often. What I would give to see just one more Saranac Lake Winter Carnival ice castle and the ski jumps towering near Lake Placid. I want to try dog sledding, too.

Crazy traffic....

I took a quick ride into Hyannis today for a last minute shopping excursion. I was amazed at the line of traffic on Yarmouth Road coming from Yarmouth into Hyannis. Are that many people out of work? I opted to head home after that and plan on one more quick trip in the morning. It's cliché, but I apparently will be one of those guys out doing a little last minute shopping on Christmas Eve Day. I will not have that deer-in-the-headlights look, I assure you. I know what I am doing and where I am going. In, out, home. Done. Some quick wrapping and then off to work.

Running? None to report, unfortunately.

Looking forward to five nights with the Mrs., the holidays and the Buzzards Bay Christmas Bird Count. The count was scheduled for 12/20, but was postponed to 12/29 due to the storm. I am hoping for the temperatures to be in the 40s and some sun. More on that later.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I too have always wondered what it would be like to be alone except for my dogs and a sled deep in the wilderness.

Merry Christmas Barry.